Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

I'm trying to find the idiomatic word for the fact of deceiving someone in a sudden or/and very unpleasant way when the person in charge has given a promise and is expected to keep it.
Just in case, I will provide the Russian word for this: "кидать", "кинуть кого-то".

For example:

1. My friend promised to help me get hired on job, but in the last moment he said that something was going wrong and he hadn't managed to talk the boss into. Finally, I was left without a job and didn't know what to do.
2) My colleague promised that he would share his computer program with me (I urgently needed it for my project), but he broke his promise and didn't give me anything at last. So I felt deceived and was very confused.
3) You know how many times I've been deceived that I've already got used to it.
4) I met a street vendor the other day who insisted on paying for a book in advance and subsequent delivery of the book to my home. However, I got nothing having paid him money and thus I had been deceived.

Please, help me find the word (maybe it's a slang word) describing the behaviour of a person who has deceived other.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Your friend who already worked at the company promised to help you get hired there. However, he failed to deliver on his promise. Well, he might have done all he reasonably could do. Maybe they just decided not to hire you. Anyhow, people sometimes fail to deliver on our promises. That doesn't mean they lied.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
2. You had been misled. In fact, you were deceived although it might have been unintentional. You were probably not confused as much as you were angry.

I'm thinking that there is not one word that fits all these situations.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
3. You've been deceived so many times that you simply don't trust people.
4. I've never heard before of people buying books from street vendors, but if they did they would surely take possession of the book then and there. They wouldn't have them delivered. (You need to fix the grammar with that one.)

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
1. Your friend who already worked at the company promised to help you get hired there. However, he failed to deliver on his promise. Well, he might have done all he reasonably could do. Maybe they just decided not to hire you. Anyhow, people sometimes fail to deliver on our promises. That doesn't mean they lied.

You've described the whole situation very accurately and, of course, it might have happened that my friend had done everything he could possibly do, but the company refused to employ me for some reason. This situation could have happened because the circumstances were against me, but I can also think that my friend failed me because he had given a promise, but I got no job. In the latter case I felt angry after that....

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
2. You had been misled. In fact, you were deceived although it might have been unintentional. You were probably not confused as much as you were angry.

I'm thinking that there is not one word that fits all these situations.

The verb "mislead" seems very close to what I was speaking about. I've also consulted the Collins Dictionary and found the following definition of "mislead": "If you say that someone has misled you, you mean that they have made you believe something which is not true, either by telling you a lie or by giving you a wrong idea or impression".

In the case of the job mentioned above my friend gave me hope and I believed him, but then it turned out that I had been deceived. Probably, no one but me considered the whole situation as deceit, but I got angry and furious and maybe decided not to trust my friend anymore.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
3. You've been deceived so many times that you simply don't trust people.
4. I've never heard before of people buying books from street vendors, but if they did they would surely take possession of the book then and there. They wouldn't have them delivered. (You need to fix the grammar with that one.)

I've never heard about people buying books from street vendors, either. I've just made up the sentence to convey the meaning of the word I had been looking for.
However, as a tour guide I know that foreign tourists can buy books in souvenir shops and then have them delivered by post within a month or so. It's a special delivery service that used to work and I often witnessed it in Russia in St. Petersburg. Usually everything was fine and I don't remember any complaints from tourists or the cases when the books weren't delivered.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Regarding the word I'm looking for (about deceiving the second person by the first one) I searched the Internet and found the following source:

I have made up some sentences based on the examples at the link:

1. to ditch: "We had been working together for five years when he ditched me".
2. to ditch: "If I get an insurance for my business, you'll not manage to ditch me".
3. to cut out: "We had been together for a long time. How could you think of cutting me out?"
4. to drop: "The tour company tried to drop me after I had bought a tour from them".

Of course, I'm not going to list all the words I've found.

Please, comment on the examples above. I'd be grateful.

P.S.
I've definitely taken into account the word "to mislead" in this meaning. Thanks!

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

I'm trying to find the idiomatic word for the fact of deceiving someone in a sudden or/and very unpleasant way when the person in charge has given a promise and is expected to keep it.
Just in case, I will provide the Russian word for this: "кидать", "кинуть кого-то".

For example:

1. My friend promised to help me get hired on job, but in the last moment he said that something was going wrong and he hadn't managed to talk the boss into. Finally, I was left without a job and didn't know what to do.
2) My colleague promised that he would share his computer program with me (I urgently needed it for my project), but he broke his promise and didn't give me anything at last. So I felt deceived and was very confused.
3) You know how many times I've been deceived that I've already got used to it.
4) I met a street vendor the other day who insisted on paying for a book in advance and subsequent delivery of the book to my home. However, I got nothing having paid him money and thus I had been deceived.

Please, help me find the word (maybe it's a slang word) describing the behaviour of a person who has deceived other.
The term that seems to fit the fourth example is 'rip (someone) off'. I know for a fact that it's in common usage in the US.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about "to renege on one's promises"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The verb "mislead" seems very close to what I was speaking about. I've also consulted the Collins Dictionary and found the following definition of "mislead": "If you say that someone has misled you, you mean that they have made you believe something which is not true, either by telling you a lie or by giving you a wrong idea or impression".

In the case of the job mentioned above my friend gave me hope and I believed him, but then it turned out that I had been deceived. Probably, no one but me considered the whole situation as deceit, but I got angry and furious and maybe decided not to trust my friend anymore.
No one but I considered ...

Or:

I was the only one who considered....

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can "lead somebody on".

I think "mislead" applies to most of those scenarios.