Point.Blank

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can any of the teachers/language experts help me with content on '2nd language acquisition' (articles/webpages, resources, pdfs, ppts) specific for English, which can help with teaching English pronunciation/grammar to non native speakers?

Thanks

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi. Please be much more specific about what you want, and your teaching context. What is it you want help with? Why are you interested only in grammar and pronunciation?

Point.Blank

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi. Please be much more specific about what you want, and your teaching context. What is it you want help with? Why are you interested only in grammar and pronunciation?
I am looking for resources/stuff to read and enhance my own understanding on a second language gets acquired and specifically in relation to acquisition as second language over a primary mother tongue language. I am interested in grammar and pronunciation emanates from the fact that those two are broadly considered as the fundamental pillars of any language communication, I may be wrong though and would be happy to be corrected.

Thank you

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am looking for resources/stuff to read and enhance my own understanding on how a second language gets acquired and specifically in relation to acquisition as second language over a primary mother tongue language. I am interested in grammar and pronunciation emanates from the fact that those two are broadly considered as the fundamental pillars of any language communication, I may be wrong though and would be happy to be corrected.

Thank you
I'm afraid much of that is confusing.

🤔

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am looking for resources/stuff to read and to enhance my own understanding on how a second language gets is acquired, and specifically in relation to acquisition as of a second language over a primary mother tongue. language.

I am interested
My interest in grammar and pronunciation emanates from the fact that those two are broadly considered as to be the fundamental pillars of any language. communication, I may might/could be wrong though and would be happy to be corrected.

Thank you.

Note my corrections above. I don't understand the last part of your opening sentence at all. A second language is a language acquired over one's mother tongue. You make it sound as if sometimes it's something else.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am looking for resources/stuff to read and enhance my own understanding on a second language gets acquired and specifically in relation to acquisition as second language over a primary mother tongue language.

I see. In that case, I suggest you start by reading some introductory books on the subject:

Introducing Second Language Acquisition by Muriel Saville-Troike
How Languages Are Learned by Nina Spada

These books will give you a solid grounding in the subject before you go on to further reading.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And you might want to look at how first languages are acquired.

Status
Not open for further replies.