Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What is the way of pronunciation of "needed" at 02:06 [
]? I hear a kind of "odd" sound "l" (like in "love") between "need and "a thing". Can you please help to figure out.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'll remind you of someting jutfrank said about a different word in another of your threads, svetlana.
It doesn't really matter how Joey pronounces the word that. What's important is that you understand that he says that.
Substitute needed for that.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'll remind you of someting jutfrank said about a different word in another of your threads, svetlana.

To be frank, if there were no subtitles, I would unlikely understood him. Might be the context would help me somehow. It represents a problem for me. I was trying to find a kind of his american pronunciation of "needed" in Youtube and Youglish but failed.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

I wonder do you clearly hear "needed" just phonetically or it sounds a little bit odd to you?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To be frank, if there were no subtitles, I would be unlikely to have understood him. Might be The context would might have helped me somehow. It represents It's a problem for me. I was trying to find a kind other examples/instances of his American pronunciation of "needed" in YouTube and YouGlish but failed.
You seem to be assuming that his "way of pronouncing needed" is in some way indicative of how all Americans might say it. You're wasting your time. Taking how one person says one word in one episode of one TV show and trying extrapolate a whole raft of information about the pronunciation of that word is completely fruitless!

In all honesty, I think there are far more important things you should be concentrating on as far as English is concerned. There were multiple errors in your last post (see my corrections) above. You have a habit of putting three spaces after every full stop instead of just one as well.

I wonder - do you clearly hear "needed" just phonetically or does it sounds sound a little bit odd to you?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
David Schwimmer fluffs the line very slightly there, which is why you're hearing an 'l' sound.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
You seem to be assuming that his "way of pronouncing needed" is in some way indicative of how all Americans might say it. You're wasting your time. Taking how one person says one word in one episode of one TV show and trying extrapolate a whole raft of information about the pronunciation of that word is completely fruitless!

In all honesty, I think there are far more important things you should be concentrating on as far as English is concerned. There were multiple errors in your last post (see my corrections) above. You have a habit of putting three spaces after every full stop instead of just one as well.
You have revised my text to read "To be frank, if there were no subtitles, I would be unlikely to have understood him. ". What is the grammar pattern/construction used there? Can I write instead -"I would unlikely have understood him"? Is it the category of "mixed conditional sentences"?

Status
Not open for further replies.