Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Canada
Hello, I'm doing some text work on various eras in history. I have an idea how I will divide content but I'm having a hard time coming out with proper section titles.

One of the sections will be for people that should be mentioned for a given period. These people are effectively 'game-changers'. I'm currently using the term 'Celebrities' but I'd like to find a better one. 'Celebrities' to me brings a positive emotion. We may sometimes consider such people shallow but they're still far from villains. It doesn't seem proper to list Adolf or Josef under a header like 'Celebrities'.

Is there a good term to use for 'People of the era' or 'Game-changers'. I thought of the word 'Figure' but 'Major Figures' does not immediately point to persons.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try influential figures.

(Even if I had been on a first-name basis with Adolph Hitler ....)

JacekN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Canada
I didn't want to use these monsters' last names because search engines would incorrectly index this page.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Like them or not, Hitler and Stalin were two of the most influential figures of the twentieth century. (Karl Marx was probably number one.)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I strongly agree that the writings of Karl Marx had an enormous influence on the history of the twentieth century. I'd quibble, however, that Marx himself was a purely 19th century man. He died in 1883.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@probus If the requirement is that you have to be alive to get the credit (or blame) for something then Marx was not one of the most influential figures of the twentieth century. However, it's not like a Nobel Prize, which is not awarded posthumously. A person's influence can be felt long after his death. Indeed, it might be greater after death.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is there a good term to use for 'People of the era' or 'Game-changers'. I thought of the word 'Figure' but 'Major Figures' does not immediately point to persons.
I disagree. What else could 'major figure' refer to in this context, other than a person? We often refer to '(major/minor/significant/central) figures in history'

I think calling someone for example "a major figure of the 19th century' is a completely natural way of expressing the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.