Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for coming today to attend the graduation ceremony at No. 3 Junior High School. First of all, I’d like to congratulate all the students who are here today. I remember meeting all of you when you were just starting Grade 7 at this school. You were all so full of energy and thirsty for knowledge. And yes, some of you were a little difficult to deal with! But today I see a room full of talented young adults who are full of hope for the future. You’ve all grown up so much and I’m so proud of you.
Although you’ve all worked very hard over the last three years, none of you did it alone.
Source: Go for it! 9, an English textbook for junior high school students in China, Cengage Learning and PEP

For the last sentence above, I think it’s also appropriate to use the present perfect tense in the main clause to agree with the tense in the although-clause like this:
Although you’ve all worked very hard over the last three years, none of you has done it alone.
What do you say?

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I’d like to know whether the two tenses are equally good or the present perfect is better.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What comes after the last sentence?

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Here's what comes after that sentence:

I hope you’ll remember the important people in your lives who helped and supported you -- your parents, your teachers and your friends. Please consider what they’ve done for you and what they mean to you. Never fail to be thankful to the people around you.

Maybe it’s also good to change “helped” to “have helped” and “supported” to “have supported”?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here's what comes after that sentence:

I hope you’ll remember the important people in your lives who helped and supported you -- your parents, your teachers and your friends. Please consider what they’ve done for you and what they mean to you. Never fail to be thankful to the people around you.

Maybe it’s also good to change “helped” to “have helped” and “supported” to “have supported”?
Your suggestion makes more sense to me now. As for your new suggestion, you only need one "helped" (have helped and supported).

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I’d like to know if I could tell my students that the original past tense for the three verbs (did, helped and supported) is all right, but it’s better to change their tense to the present perfect to agree with “you’ve all worked” and “what they’ve done”.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@diamondcutter Well, I already gave you my opinion. Are you hoping to hear from somebody else?
😊

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In a situation like this, where both forms are possible, I hesitate to say that one form is 'better'.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry, Tarheel. I didn't quite understand what you meant in #6, but now I got it.😄

Status
Not open for further replies.