Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Let's say the A.C. works perfectly well when there are, let's say, four people in my living room, and it's the right one for the size of the room. But sometimes I get some friends together, and I notice the temperature is not the ideal one, and we begin to sweat. I've learned it's right to say the A.C. is not cooling efficiently. Are there more common and natural ways to say this? I'm asking this question because there is a specific expression in Portuguese that fits the situation.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Let's say the A.C. works perfectly well when there are, let's say, four people in my living room, and it's the right one for the size of the room. But sometimes I get some friends together, and I notice the temperature is not the ideal one, and we begin to sweat. I've learned it's right to say the A.C. is not cooling efficiently. Are there more common and natural ways to say this? I'm asking this question because there is a specific expression in Portuguese that fits the situation.

not a teacher
How about: The a.c. is not cool enough.
The a.c. may be efficient, just that it cannot cope with the number of people (occupancy load).

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not a question of efficiency, it's a question of capacity. You need a bigger unit (more BTUs of cooling capacity) if you are expecting it to work with a bunch of people in your place.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not a question of efficiency, it's a question of capacity. You need a bigger unit (more BTUs of cooling capacity) if you are expecting it to work with a bunch of people in your place.

I agree with SoothingDave regarding the 'capacity' requirements. If you have more than four people in your living room you may need to buy a larger a/c unit. Nonetheless, you can still correctly say "the A/C (unit) is not cooling efficiently."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As it's a capacity issue, I would say that the AC isn't powerful enough.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As it's a capacity issue, I would say that the AC isn't powerful enough.
As a 'here and now' comment, it is correct to tell your guests that your A/C unit is not working efficiently. ;-) They really don't need to know that you need to purchase a larger A/C unit!

Status
Not open for further replies.