Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does "in that order" mean? We used to say "in order that", which apparently has a different meaning. I guess "in that order" means "that kind of man." That is, the speaker says Trump loves money rather than the people.

Am I correct?

============================
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·44m
In other words, we would be spending millions of dollars building the Arena to a very high standard without even knowing if the Democrat Governor would allow the Republican Party to fully occupy the space. Plans are being made by many thousands of enthusiastic Republicans, and others, to head to beautiful North Carolina in August. They must be immediately given an answer by the Governor as to whether or not the space will be allowed to be fully occupied. If not, we will be reluctantly forced to find, with all of the jobs and economic development it brings, another Republican National Convention site. This is not something I want to do. Thank you, and I LOVE the people of North Carolina!

Jeff Tiedrich
Replying to
@realDonaldTrump

oh please, you love money and yourself, and not in that order

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The 'order' of the two noun phrases is (1) money and (2) yourself.

If they are not in that order, which order would they be in?

The order in Trump's preaching is: Love, people, economic revival. The speaker says Trump is not in this order. Am I correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
oh please, you love money and yourself, and not in that order
I've underlined the two things the author lists. He listed them in this order:
  1. money
  2. yourself
Then he says that Trump loves the things on the list, but not in that order; not in the order in which he listed them.

This is a good illustration of using this and that.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Where did that idea come from?

Trump tweeted: I LOVE the people of North Carolina!

Here, LOVE first, people second, North Carolina's economy (Trump: with all of the jobs and economic development it <the Republican National Convention> brings) third.

The speaker is simply saying to Trump that he loves himself first and then money

If so, what does "that order" refer to?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Trump tweeted: I LOVE the people of North Carolina!

Here, LOVE first, people second, North Carolina's economy (Trump: with all of the jobs and economic development it <the Republican National Convention> brings) third.

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean

The speaker is simply saying to Trump that he loves himself first and then money

If so, what does "that order" refer to?
See post #5.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I've underlined the two things the author lists. He listed them in this order:
  1. money
  2. yourself
Then he says that Trump loves the things on the list, but not in that order; not in the order in which he listed them.

This is a good illustration of using this and that.

I still don't know how to understand it properly. Because it seems to be trivial or even tidious to me.

The order the author bestows upon Trump is: You love money first, then you love yourself. "Not in that order" would have only one possibility: You love yourself first, then you love money more than anything else.

The implication of saying "Not in that order" appears to be: The phrase "not in that order" is a euphemistic form of "you love yourself and money rather than American people." I am not sure.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It might help you to think about it in the following way. Use "this" before a list or an example. Use "that" after it.

He loves them in this order:
1. Love
2. Money

Love; money; he loves them in that order.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Had he said "You love yourself and money", he might have added "in that order".

OK. The meaning is clear now.
But what is the rhetoric power of expressing "not in that order"? Is it stronger in ridiculing the selfish president than "You love yourself and money - you are in that order"?

The problem is that "love money" and "love yourself" have the same degree of stinky selfishness in the crisis of the nation. So "in that order" or "not in that order" appears to be six of one, half dozen of the other.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The order the author bestows upon Trump is: You love money first, then you love yourself. "Not in that order" would have only one possibility: You love yourself first, then you love money more than anything else.:tick:

The implication of saying "Not in that order" appears to be: The phrase "not in that order" is a euphemistic form of "you love yourself and money rather than American people." :cross: I am not sure.
Please stick to the words in the text. Do you see a reference to the American people?

The writer is simply accusing Trump of loving only himself and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.