Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

Are there any other official place names containing "district" besides "the District of Columbia"?

If so, can they be referred to as "X district," where X is a proper name like Columbia?

I'd appreciate your help.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
DC is a special district created by the US Constitution in order to have the new federal government not be located within any of the existing states.

No, you can't call it "Columbia District." That's not its name.

The only other similar "district" I know of is in Mexico, where Mexico City is officially the "Distrito Federal" or "DF."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I believe India has one too. The region surrounding its national capital, Delhi, has become a small state which ranks equally with enormous states like Punjab and Karnataka. In the state of Delhi the central goverment handles minor matters such as roads that are usually the responsibility of local goverment.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
DC is a special district created by the US Constitution in order to have the new federal government not be located within any of the existing states.

No, you can't call it "Columbia District." That's not its name.

The only other similar "district" I know of is in Mexico, where Mexico City is officially the "Distrito Federal" or "DF."

Mexico officially changed the DF name to just Mexico City (Ciudad de México) back in early 2016, although unoffically it's still in widespread use. Residents apparently were fond of the original version and generally refuse to use the new official version. After 200 some years, I suppose it's hard to suddenly switch just because some politicians say you're supposed to.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I noticed the same effect when I lived in Calcutta (now Kolkata). I suppose it's harder to change the names of streets or cities if a lot of the people are illiterate.

As an aside, when Mexicans say Mexico they invariably mean the city. They refer to their country as "la Republica" or something similar to avoid ambiguity.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, you see road signs in Mexico telling you, e.g. 50 km to Mexico.

You see that and you're like "I thought I was in Mexico already!"

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Can "the city of X" always be referred to as "X City"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. The City of London, for example, is never referred to as London City.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
For those that don't know the City of London is the area in central London with the Bank of England and other banks, etc . It is not the whole of the capital.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
For those that don't know the City of London is the area in central London with the Bank of England and other banks, etc . It is not the whole of the capital.

It is also a synonym for the British banking and investment industry . In bygone times a young person starting out might choose to go into the church, the civil service, the military, or the City (short for City of London).

Last edited by a moderator:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Are there any other examples like "the City of New York" and "New York City," where the two forms mean the same?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are there any other examples like "the City of New York" and "New York City," where the two forms mean the same?
There's the official name, and then there's what everybody calls it.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Some say "Manchester City" does not refer to the city but to a sports club or team associated with it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Few of us ever refer to 'X City' or the 'City of X, we simply use the name of the city.

In my nearest city when I lived in England, Portsmouth City Council was usually referred to as just 'the council'.

Incidentally, Manchester City F C is known to locals and, in context, to other football followers, as 'City'.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I doubt if anybody would think that Manchester City Council has anything to do with the football club.

Manchester City apparently refers to a team in the following.

After a professional and relatively hard-fought 2-0 victory against Brentford at the Etihad Stadium in midweek, Manchester City prepare to face a Norwich side who are certainly in high spirits.

Status
Not open for further replies.