Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello teachers,

This is a point of question to me whether there is a difference between (Oh my God!) and (Oh Jesus!) or not.

Are both used in the US and UK? Which one is much more common?

For example:
Suppose that I suddenly see a dead body in somewhere and I use the term. Is there any difference between them?
Or suppose that you buy me an expensive gift and when I see the gift I get surprised and use one of the terms.

In brief, I know little about these two terms.

Many thanks in advance.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, the term "Oh my God!" is used extensively, and is often abbreviated, particularly by the younger generation, to "OMG" in all forms of their e-communication. It is used to express a very wide range of emotions: from extreme pleasure/shock/disgust/fear, all the way to mild surprise or anticipation. The user will not, generally, have any consciousness that he/she is appealing to, or referring to, a deity.

The expression "Oh Jesus!" is not nearly so commonly used in the UK - perhaps because the religious aspect is more specific and apparent. When it is used, it is most likely to express extreme shock, disgust, fear or sorrow. The expression "Jesus Christ!" is more common in these extreme situations.

As an aside, my father (a staunch Scottish Presbyterian) swore rarely and never blasphemed - apart from the very few occasions when extreme frustration caused him to utter "Christ on a bicycle!" I have never come across this expression elsewhere....

U

userdownload2012

I am not a teacher
reference :
Longman
Jesus interjection not polite used to express anger, surprise, or shock : Jesus! That was close!
Be careful about using Jesus in this way, because Christians find it offensive.

--------------------------------------
Holy Jesus :exclamation indicating surprise, indignation, etc.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher
reference :
Longman
Jesus interjection not polite used to express anger, surprise, or shock : Jesus! That was close!

That's interesting. I don't find it offensive at all. These terms are a basic part of normal (though informal) speech.
Christ! That was a good movie.
Jesus! Can't you move any faster?
Oh My God! Are you going to do that again?
Jesus Christ Almighty! When will you learn not to do that?

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks everybody.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't find any of them offensive but I'm an atheist so I suppose I wouldn't. I know some Christians who are incredibly upset at the use of those terms and I know others who realise they are just a part of everyday speech and are fine with them.

I first heard "Christ on a bike" from a work colleague over 15 years ago. I have no idea where it came from but I loved it. It conjures up a great mental image!

"Oh my god" is certainly the most common in BrE but the others are by no means uncommon.

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
I am not a teacher
reference :
Longman

I agree. Where I grew up, kids couldn't say "Jesus Christ!" because it was considered a swear word, even to non-religious families like my own. I have always said "oh my God" for all kinds of situations, and my Christian piano teacher would get very upset when I said that. She told me to say "oh my gosh" if I had to say something. ('oh my gosh' is a common alternative)

And then there's the favorite of my tenth grade science teacher: Lord love a duck! (meant to show her anger/frustration, she used it pretty much everyday)

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's interesting. I don't find it offensive at all. These terms are a basic part of normal (though informal) speech.
Christ! That was a good movie.
Jesus! Can't you move any faster?
Oh My God! Are you going to do that again?
Jesus Christ Almighty! When will you learn not to do that?

It is offensive to many. It is a direct violation of one of the ten commandments.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's blasphemy to Christians. Naturally, not all Christians are familiar with what they purport to believe in.
I'd strongly suggest that learners do not regard these exclamations as basic terms in ordinary speech.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with Raymott.

It's never a good idea to insult people's Supreme Beings or chief prophets.

In at least one religion it could result in a death sentence being passed on you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree that learners should not use them but I think that if they plan to visit an English-speaking country or converse with a lot of native English speakers, they need to know that they will hear these exclamations a lot.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Status
Not open for further replies.