Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I'm currently preparing for my IELTS test. I've downloaded a question list and there are a lot of questions about weekends/weekdays/free time and I want to be as honest as possible since it'll be easier for me to answer any follow up questions.

I was practicing talking about my weekends and weekdays and I came across the following problems:

- I am very serious when it comes to my fitness. I love working out and keeping fit. And that's why I'm on a strict diet on the weekdays.
- I only get to eat my favorite food on the weekends. I enjoy eating all my favorite food throughout the day on the weekends.

Questions:
1. a) Do I say 'on the weekdays' or 'during the weekdays?'
b) Do we always pluralize weekdays?

2. a) My questions says 'what do you enjoy doing on weekends.' But I've always said 'on the weekends.' I just want to know if they both mean the same thing. That is, weekends in general and not any specific weekend.
b) Does 'on the weekend' (without pluralizing) mean a specific weekend?
c) I'm not sure about the sentence 'throughout the day on the weekends.' As far as I know 'on (the) weekends' means weekends in general and not a specific one. But 'throughout the day' sounds like a single day to me. How do I say it?

It's clear that the content you've downloaded (please provide the source and author) is based on American English, but I'll tell you what BrE speakers would use.

1. I'm on a strict diet on weekdays.
2. I only get to eat my favourite food at the weekend/at weekends.

1. a) Do I say 'on the weekdays' or 'during the weekdays?'
b) Do we always pluralize weekdays?

2. a) My questions says 'what do you enjoy doing on weekends.' But I've always said 'on the weekends.' I just want to know if they both mean the same thing.
Don't use the article with "weekends" or "weekdays". It's wrong.

"Weekdays" is plural when you're talking about more than one.

during the week

on the weekend

(American English)

It's clear that the content you've downloaded (please provide the source and author) is based on American English, but I'll tell you what BrE speakers would use.

I bough IELTS lessons on magoosh.com so yes it's an American site and the teacher is American as well.

during the week

on the weekend

(American English)

Wow. One of the answers above says it's wrong to use the article :cry:
So confused.

And doesn't during the week mean the entire 7 days?

Wow. One of the answers above says it's wrong to use the article :cry:
So confused.

And doesn't during the week mean the entire 7 days?

In BrE I might use "on the weekend" or "at the weekend".

Technically "during the week" means the full 7 days but colloquially it is regularly used to mean the Monday to Friday working week in both British and American English. Context is everything.

Let me see if I understand it. To mean a specific weekend we say "What are you doing on the weekend/this weekend?" And for weekends in general we say "I cheat on my diet on weekends" without the article.
(Since it's and American site I'd prefer to stick to AmE so I don't mix things up too much.)

Let me see if I understand it. To mean a specific weekend we say "What are you doing on the weekend/this weekend?" And for weekends in general we say "I cheat on my diet on weekends" without the article.
(Since it's an American site I'd prefer to stick to AmE so I don't mix things up too much.)

Yep.

(I would say: "What are you doing this weekend?")

That solves my 'weekends' problem but not my 'weekdays' problems.

1. a) Do I say 'on the weekdays' or 'during the weekdays?'- "I'm on a strict diet on/during the weekdays."
b) Do we always pluralize weekdays? - "Tomorrow is weekday here. The weekend is on Friday in Bangladesh."

1. a) Do I say 'on the weekdays' or 'during the weekdays?'- "I'm on a strict diet on/during the weekdays."
b) Do we always pluralize weekdays? - "Tomorrow is a weekday here. The weekend [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] begins on Friday in Bangladesh."
Sentence 1a is incorrect. Say "I'm on a strict diet on weekdays/during the week."

1b: No. For example, "Sunday is a weekday in some countries, including Bangladesh and Israel."

This thread seems to be absurdly complicated. All questions were answered clearly in post #2:

Although both are perfectly natural, I'd advise you to use at weekends in context 2 because it's clearer. Simple.

Don't worry about what is common in American English. The IELTS exam is not looking for you to speak American English.

This thread seems to be absurdly complicated. All questions were answered clearly in post #2:

Although both are perfectly natural, I'd advise you to use at weekends in context 2 because it's clearer. Simple.

Don't worry about what is common in American English. The IELTS exam is not looking for you to speak American English.

To be honest I find 'on the weekend/on weekends' easier to remember since it's 'on' for both weekends and weekdays. I hope I won't lose points if the examiner is British :-?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back