Kolridg

Member Type
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If I am saying "I missed the planned conference call. I will not join the call, because I have already missed a half of the discussion, let us go for a walk", the person who I am talking to can take it either ways:

1) As I missed the call because I didn't heard the phone ringing because I was busy with something in other room.
2) As I missed the call because I got home late, as I was late for this conference call.

I want to convey the sense that is described in the case two. I could say "I was late for the planned conference call, let us go for a walk", but I don't like "I was late" here because in fact the conference has started just five minutes ago or so.

Maybe it could be better to say in the present "I am late for the conference call, let us go for a walk"?

I am only afraid that saying in the present (I am late) strictly suggests that the conference probably hasn't yet started, because according to my knowledge of English, if I say, for example, "I am late for the bus", it means that I don't have time to get to the bus stop before the bus arrives — that is, I am in the process of missing the bus. But in my case the conference has already started, I have already missed it.

Thank you.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Keep it straightforward. I missed the start of the conference call, so I'm not going to join it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I am saying say "I missed the planned conference call. I will not join the call no comma here because I have already missed a half of the discussion. let us Let's go for a walk [instead]", the person who I am talking to can take it either one of two ways:

1) As I missed the call because I didn't heard the phone ringing because I was busy with something in another room.
2) As I missed the call because I got home late, as so I was late for this conference call.

I want to convey the sense that is described in the case sentence two. I could say "I was late for the planned conference call. let us Let's go for a walk", but I don't like "I was late" here because in fact the conference has had started just five minutes earlier or so. ago or so.

Maybe it could would be better to say in the present tense "I am late for the conference call. let us Let's go for a walk".

I am only afraid that saying in the present (I am late) strictly suggests that the conference probably hasn't yet started, because according to my knowledge of English, if I say, for example, "I am late for the bus", it means that I don't have time to get to the bus stop before the bus arrives — that is, I am in the process of missing the bus. But However, in my case the conference has already started no comma here so I have already missed it.

Thank you. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding a "Thanks" icon to any response you find helpful.
Please note my corrections above. In each of the three places where I have put a large red full stop (period), you had created a comma splice.

As 5jj said, keep it simple. Both your example sentences are too wordy.

If you say "Sorry I'm late for the call", it means you joined the conference call late. If you missed the start and decided not to join at all, just say "I missed the start of the conference call. It's too late to join now so let's go for a walk instead".

Status
Not open for further replies.