Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That was a really nice talk, also a beautiful beginning of their story. _______ his salty coffee!

A. Owing to B. Due to C. Thanks to

I think all the three answers mean the same. Is it the case from a native's point of view?

Should we distinguish them?

Thanks!

Jason

chrischai

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That was a really nice talk, also a beautiful beginning of their story. _______ his salty coffee!

A. Owing to B. Due to C. Thanks to

I think all the three answers mean the same. Is it the case from a native's point of view?

Should we distinguish them?

Thanks!

Jason

I'm a new English learner, I will go for C.Thanks to

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think all three mean the same. (Old Fowler used to take umbrage at due to but the way we teach English here, due to is acceptable.) The passage is nevertheless quite puzzling. Is there such a thing as salty coffee? And if so, how on earth does it make anything better?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The passage is deplorably written, Jason. Where did you encounter it?

chrischai, the questioner asked for a native's point of view. Please wait to read other answers before giving your opinion.

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The passage is deplorably written, Jason. Where did you encounter it?

chrischai, the questioner asked for a native's point of view. Please wait to read other answers before giving your opinion.
Thank you all!
This sentence is from a dodgy exercise-book.
The context is as follows.
"He met her at a party and invited her to have coffee with him. He was too nervous to say anything. Suddenly he asked the waiter, "Would you please give me some salt? I'd like to put it in my coffee." Everybody looked at him in surprise, so strange! She asked him curiously, "why do you have this hobby?" He replied, "I used to live near the sea, so I could feel the taste of the sea, just like the taste of the salty coffee. Now every time I have the salty coffee, I always think of my childhood. I miss my hometown so much. I miss my parents who are still living there." While he was saying this, tears filled his eyes. She was deeply touched. Then she started to speak about her faraway hometown, her childhood and her family.
That was a really nice talk, also a beautiful beginning of their story. ______his salty coffee! They fell in love and got married"

When I did the exercise, I doubted whether there is only one answer. So I refer it to you. Now your answer has confirmed my suspicion that this question is totally meaningless.

Thanks!

Jason

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you all!
This sentence is from a dodgy exercise-book.
The context is as follows.
"He met her at a party and invited her to have coffee with him. He was too nervous to say anything. Suddenly he asked the waiter, "Would you please give me some salt? I'd like to put it in my coffee." Everybody looked at him in surprise, so strange! She asked him curiously, "why do you have this hobby?" He replied, "I used to live near the sea, so I could feel the taste of the sea, just like the taste of the salty coffee. Now every time I have the salty coffee, I always think of my childhood. I miss my hometown so much. I miss my parents who are still living there." While he was saying this, tears filled his eyes. She was deeply touched. Then she started to speak about her faraway hometown, her childhood and her family.
That was a really nice talk, also a beautiful beginning of their story. ______his salty coffee! They fell in love and got married"

When I did the exercise, I doubted whether there is only one answer. So I refer it to you. Now your answer has confirmed my suspicion that this question is totally meaningless.

Thanks!

Jason

The whole thing is meaningless. In addition, it should be "... a beautiful beginning to their story". I have no idea what the book thinks is meant to go in the gap before "... his salty coffee".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I think "Thanks to his salty coffee, they fell in love and got married" makes a sort of strange sense, but I agree that the whole thing is very badly written.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "Thanks to his salty coffee, they fell in love and got married" makes a sort of strange sense, but I agree that the whole thing is very badly written.

I agree. When did putting salt in coffee become a hobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.