Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Clouds form and are pulled to the edges, creating the familiar funnel shape of a tornado.

Q1) Can the underline in #1 be rephrased as "Clouds form..., and created(#1) the familiar ...."? or "Clouds form..., and clouds(they) created(#2) the familiar...."? or "Clouds form..., which created(#3) the familiar ...."?

2. Eventually, a tonado develops touching down on the ground and potentially causing a great deal of death and destruction.

Q2) How can the underlines be rephrased? considering my question #1?

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Clouds form and are pulled to the edges, creating the familiar funnel shape of a tornado.

Q1) Can the underline in #1 be rephrased as "Clouds form..., and created(#1) the familiar ...."? or "Clouds form..., and clouds(they) created(#2) the familiar...."? or "Clouds form..., which created(#3) the familiar ...."?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) If I understand my books correctly, "Clouds form and are pulled to the edges, (thus) creating the familiar funnel of a

tornado" is another way of saying (more formally): "Clouds form and are pulled to the edges, so that the clouds create the

familiar funnel of a tornado." Since "form" and "are" are in the present tense, I believe that you should continue with the

present tense.

(a) Compare:

The speeding train fell off the bridge, killing 100 people. (= The speeding train fell off the bridge, so that the accident killed

100 people.)

Status
Not open for further replies.