Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The term “present participle” sounds odd to me because it can be also used in past tenses. For example, in the past continuous tense. Could you tell me why the term is so called?

yuliyaon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Malta
Current Location
Malta
That's the definition from 'Practical English Usage' by M. Swan:
1669041115948.png
I strongly recommend the book. It provides detailed and yet simple explanations of many problem points for ESL learners.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The dictionary link below seems to be saying that in, say, a past continuous sentence, the participle is present 'in relation to the past'.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's the definition from 'Practical English Usage' by M. Swan:
View attachment 5050
I strongly recommend the book. It provides detailed and yet simple explanations of many problem points for English learners.
Hm. You could read that as "explanations of problem points for English people (people from England) who are learners." Perhaps better: "explanations of problem points for ESL learners" or "explanations of problem points for students of English".

Last edited:

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
The term “present participle” sounds odd to me because it can be also used in past tenses. For example, in the past continuous tense. Could you tell me why the term is so called?

[1] The train to Bath is now approaching platform 3.
[2] The train to Bath was approaching platform 3.

It's called the 'present participle' because the time associated with it is characteristically the same as that expressed or implied in the larger construction containing it. For example, in [1] the time of approaching is simultaneous with the time of speaking.

[2] expresses past time by virtue of preterite "was", but there is no change in the form or meaning of "approaching".

'Present' is thus to be understood in a relative rather than absolute sense: the approaching is present relative to the time given in the larger construction.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What about the term “past participle”? What does the word “past” mean in this term? Does “past” mean the action of the verb happened before the time of the auxiliary verb?

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
What about the term “past participle”? What does the word “past” mean in this term? Does “past” mean the action of the verb happened before the time of the auxiliary verb?

It is its use in the perfect tense that provides the basis for the “past” component in the name, for the perfect is a kind of past tense where a past participle occurs in construction with the past tense auxiliary “have”.

Status
Not open for further replies.