"Passenger have ridden the first Ferris wheel at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lalachan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
"Passenger have ridden the first Ferris wheel at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago"

"Passenger have ridden the first Ferris wheel at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in1893"

This sentence is actually incorrect. I've searched for this but mostly answered it using Present Perfect which becomes "has ridden".

My questions are:
1. Why it should be in perfect form. Especially in present perfect, why not past perfect because it happened in the pas and ended in the past.

2. Why don't we use Simple Past form? Because there are the exact time. And there are no features of perfect, like since or for.

Thank you...

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: "Passenger have ridden the first Ferris wheel at the Columbian Exposition in Chic

Please tell us where you heard or saw this sentence. It is incorrect in several different ways.

1. This is not a good question. It is not true that it should be in perfect form. Furthermore, it's already in present perfect form.
2. It is possible to use a simple past verb form to express what you mean.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: "Passenger have ridden the first Ferris wheel at the Columbian Exposition in Chic

"Passengers have ridden the first Ferris wheel at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in [space] 1893."

This sentence is [STRIKE]actually[/STRIKE] incorrect.

You're right Even with the grammatical corrections I made, it doesn't make sense.

A newspaper written the next day might use that phrasing to report on the event, but it wouldn't say "in 1893," because that would be understood.

I've searched for this but mostly answered it using present perfect, which becomes "has ridden".

My questions are:

1. Why should it [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] be in perfect form? Especially in present perfect, why not past perfect, because it happened in the past and ended in the past?

2. Why don't we use the simple past form, because there is an exact time and there are no features of perfect, like since or for?

Thank you.
Tell us where you found the quotation. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.