Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Would you tell me please if there is anything besides the literal meaning here? A pun on "carrion"? Maybe a carrier bag?

A vulture boards an airplane, carrying two dead raccoons. The stewardess looks at him and says, "I'm sorry, sir, only one carrion allowed per passenger."
Source link

Last edited:

Ms. Worth

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would you tell me please if there is anything besides the literal meaning here? A pun on "carrion"? Maybe a carrier bag?

A vulture boards an airplane, carrying two dead raccoons. The stewardess looks at him and says, "I'm sorry, sir, only one carrion allowed per passenger."
Source link
It's a pun on the word "carrion" (dead animals) and "carry-on" (luggage the passenger takes into the cabin instead of checking it.

The two words sound alike.

The flight attendant says "Only one carry-on" (kind of luggage) is allowed per passenger," but the vulture has TWO pieces of "carrion" (two dead raccoons.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Ms. Worth Please note that the OP has already added the 'Thanks' icon to SoothingDave's response, indicating that they had read and understood it. We're trying to avoid repetition in threads so, before responding, please check to see if there's any need for a new response.

Ms. Worth

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Ms. Worth Please note that the OP has already added the 'Thanks' icon to SoothingDave's response, indicating that they had read and understood it. We're trying to avoid repetition in threads so, before responding, please check to see if there's any need for a new response.
Okay.
I was trying to add an upvote to the one that had already been awarded.

Is that unnecessary in this forum?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Okay.
I was trying to add an upvote to the one that had already been awarded.

Is that unnecessary in this forum?
We don't do up/down votes. The option was available originally on this platform but we had it removed. If you want to indicate your agreement with any response, simply click "Like".

Ms. Worth

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't do up/down votes. The option was available originally on this platform but we had it removed. If you want to indicate your agreement with any response, simply click "Like".
Okay.
What did I click? (I forget by now.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Okay.
What did I click? (I forget by now.)
I have no idea. You haven't added a "Like" to any post in this thread. The only thing you've done is write a response. If you can still see Up/Down Vote buttons, we have an issue with the platform because they shouldn't be there!

Status
Not open for further replies.