Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello, whoever may be reading this 😝 I hope you can help

The first words of Death of a Salesman in the stage direction are "A flute is heard." I was just wondering if the flute is the subject of this sentence, what is the object? Is it 'heard' or it it the inferred ear. Or is it something else that my mind just can't comprehend? I appreciate any answer I'm looking to learn here, aren't we all. 😄 Thank you

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When a sentence is cast in the passive voice, what was the object (in the active voice) becomes the subject.

Active voice: [Somebody] heard a flute. The subject is [Somebody] and the object is "a flute".
Passive voice: A flute is heard. The subject is "A flute". There is no object. "Heard" is part of the verb.

Nathan Lindop

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When a sentence is cast in the passive voice, what was the object (in the active voice) becomes the subject.

Active voice: [Somebody] heard a flute. The subject is [Somebody] and the object is "a flute".
Passive voice: A flute is heard. The subject is "A flute". There is no object. "Heard" is part of the verb.

The world would be nothing without linguistics or my revision notes. Thank you 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.