Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, everyone.
First, I wrote this version, but I'm worried that 'they' may refer to the stories instead of the people. Is my worry justified?
Since stories easily resonate with people, they may become very interested in a piece of art after they know its story and want to pay a visit to the museum to see it firsthand.

So, I came up with this version. But I don't know if the red is idiomatic or not.
Since
people tend to relate to stories, they may become very interested in a piece of art after they know its story and want to pay a visit to the museum to see it firsthand.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There are a few issues to deal with here. The first concerns your worry about the antecedent of they. You've noticed that since stories is the grammatical subject of the subordinate clause, a reader would naturally expect the subject of the main clause (they) to be co-referent, so I think you're well justified to want to rearrange the sentence to avoid this problem.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There are a few issues to deal with here.
Thanks, jutfrank. What are the other issues? I think my sentence is so long and hard to read. How to make it natural?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are a few issues to deal with here. The first concerns your worry about the antecedent of they. You've noticed that since stories is the grammatical subject of the subordinate clause, a reader would naturally expect the subject of the main clause (they) to be co-referent, so I think you're well justified to want to rearrange the sentence to avoid this problem.
Good point. I hadn't looked at it that way. I'll delete my post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Knowing a work of art's story could encourage/inspire people to visit a gallery to see it firsthand.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Knowing a work of art's story could encourage/inspire people to visit a gallery to see it firsthand.
Thanks, emsr2d2. Do you think 'showing' would be better in my sentence?

Since stories easily resonate with people, showing them a work of art's story could encourage/inspire them to visit a gallery to see it firsthand.
I think 'them' clearly refers to 'people'. Am I correctly?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, I don't think "showing" works there. You could use "telling".

Status
Not open for further replies.