Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I was watching short videos online yesterday. There was one about a Chinese adage which literally means “If a person who doesn’t work hard, study hard when young, life will be more difficult when getting older”. The teacher in the video says “An idle youth, a needy age”.

I heard another version, so I commented on her video. I said I’ve heard “A young idler, an older beggar”. I’m not sure if it’s natural or used, but I tend to agree with the latter.”

I wonder if the bold sentence is natural to mean “I tend to think that my version is natural and used”.

P.S.: Please let me know if I've made some comma errors.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

I was watching short videos online yesterday. There was one about a Chinese adage which literally means “If a person [STRIKE]who[/STRIKE] doesn’t work hard (no comma here) and study hard when they are young, life will be more difficult when [STRIKE]getting[/STRIKE] they get/are older”. The teacher in the video says “An idle youth, a needy age”.

I heard another version, so I commented on her video. I said I’ve heard “A young idler, an older beggar”. I’m not sure if it’s natural or used, but I tend to agree with the latter.”

I wonder if the bold sentence is natural to mean “I tend to think that my version is natural and used”.

P.S.: Please let me know if I've made some comma errors.

See my changes above. Your bold sentence is grammatically correct but it's a little confusing. "The latter" appears to refer to "an older beggar". "The former" (the opposite) would be "A young idler".
What specifically were you trying to refer to as "the latter"?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
See my changes above. Your bold sentence is grammatically correct but it's a little confusing. "The latter" appears to refer to "an older beggar". "The former" (the opposite) would be "A young idler".
What specifically were you trying to refer to as "the latter"?

Hmmm.

When I said "I tend to agree with the latter", I meant "I tend to agree with the phrase "A young idler, an older beggar" is used. The fomer is "I'm not sure" while the latter is "if it's used or natural"

So, do I just need to be specific to avoid ambiguity:

I've heard "A young idler, an older beggar". I'm not sure if it's natural or used, but I tend to believe that this version is natural and in use.

Is my new sentence natural? "This version" refers to my version.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've heard "A young idler, an older beggar". I'm not sure if it's natural or used, but I tend to believe that this version is natural and in use.

Is my new sentence natural? "This version" refers to my version.

Your revised sentence is perfect, but it's not true. The translation is good but it's not in common use.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
An young idler, an old beggar

Hi.

I wonder if “An young idler, an old beggar” is natural in English. It means “If you don’t work hard when you’re young, your life will be much harder when you’re old”.

I’ve read many versions besides mine, here are two of them.

a) An idle youth, a needy age.
b) An idle young, a lousy old.

I wonder if all these are natural or is there a better alternative?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: An young idler, an old beggar

An young is never possible. Initial y is a consonant except in a few foreign words like Ypres. The aphorism isn't natural even with the correct article — it looks more like a list of people you're observing rather than a warning about habits.

Version A is okay if it's clearly an aphorism. B is wrong because young and old are not nouns.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I Googled "An young idler, an old/older beggar" and the only hits are translations of the Chinese proverb. There are no hits for it as any kind of English proverb in use.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi GoesStation.

You said in #4 that my translation is good but not in common use. Do you mean this sentence is good but not in common use "A young idler, an old beggar"?

You said in #6 that

The aphorism isn't natural even with the correct article

Do you mean the same version "A young idler, an old beggar" is not natural?

So, in short, do you mean that this proverb is good but not natural and in common use?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You said in #4 that my translation is good but not in common use. Do you mean this sentence is good but not in common use "A young idler, an old beggar"? Yes, but now that I'm looking at it again, I don't like it. If it was introduced as "a Chinese proverb", many readers would understand it; Chinese proverbs are known to be terse.

You said in #6 that

"The aphorism isn't natural even with the correct article."

Do you mean the same version "A young idler, an old beggar" is not natural?

So, in short, do you mean that this proverb is good but not natural and in common use?
Yes. It's comprehensible in the context of Chinese proverbs but not natural English.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes. It's comprehensible in the context of Chinese proverbs but not natural English.

One last question about this thread. You also said "I tend to believe that this version is natural and in use" is perfect. My question is if it would be better if I put it in this way

I tend to believe that this version is natural and
is in use.

(Yes, it's not true. :lol:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those two statements are two things that are the same thing. Also, "I tend to believe...." is wishy washy. Just state your opinion. Also, if something is natural might be an opinion, but its being in use is not.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also, if something is natural might be an opinion, but [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] its being in use is not.

I have highlighted the above error not in an attempt to embarrass Tarheel, but to prove to learners that confusing "it's" and "its" is definitely not limited to non-native speakers.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
One last question about this thread. You also said "I tend to believe that this version is natural and in use" is perfect. My question is if it would be better if I put it in this way

I tend to believe that this version is natural and
is in use.

(Yes, it's not true. :lol:)

There is no difference.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... "it's" and "its" is definitely not limited to non-native speakers.
I've carelessly made the same mistake recently, too.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, it doesn't help that they do that on Facebook all the time.
:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.