Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, teachers. Should I use the singular or plural version? Thanks!

Poor weather conditions and delivery companies also play a big role in/play big roles in many car accidents.

Hello. [STRIKE]teachers.[/STRIKE] Non-teachers also answer questions here.

Should I use the singular or plural version?

[STRIKE]Thanks![/STRIKE] Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button.

Poor weather conditions and delivery [STRIKE]companies[/STRIKE] vehicles also play a big [STRIKE]role[/STRIKE] part in [STRIKE]/play big roles in[/STRIKE] many [STRIKE]car[/STRIKE] road traffic accidents.

See above.

Thanks, emsr2d2. I understand 'part' is better. But when using 'role', should I say 'play a big role' or 'play big roles'?

I struck through the plural version. That is the same whether you use "role" or "part".

I know from talking to you before that you're preparing for IELTS, so I'd advise you not to use big. Use a more appropriate register.

I know from talking to you before that you're preparing for IELTS, so I'd advise you not to use big. Use a more appropriate register.
Thanks, jutfrank. How about 'play a great part in'?

"significant" would be good.

I'm fine with a big role- it sounds natural to me. Significant works well too.

How about 'play a great part in'?

No. Use major.

Also, I have some other issues with your sentence. For one, it's obvious enough how the weather is a cause of car accidents, but what do delivery companies have to do with this? Do you really mean to involve the companies, rather than the vehicles belonging to those companies?

Do you really mean to involve the companies, rather than the vehicles belonging to those companies?

See my correction in post 2.

See my correction in post 2.

Oh, sorry. I wasn't paying full attention. :oops:

(By the way, I'm a Chubby Baby, I think you need to make it clear what kind of text you imagine your sentences to be part of, because that largely determines word choice. Do this in all of your threads.)

Poor weather conditions and delivery vehicles also play a major partin many road traffic accidents.
You have said something about the weather. What about the delivery vehicles? Are you talking of their roadworthiness?

I think the word "traffic" is redundant.

What about the delivery vehicles? Are you talking of their roadworthiness?

No, check the link in #12 and you will know what I want to talk about.

No, check the link in #12 and you will know what I want to talk about.

The article in the link says the accidents were caused by the drivers of the delivery vehicles being pressured by their company to meet deadlines, so the accidents were not due to the fault of the delivery vehicles as you have written, but due to human error.

The article in the link says the accidents were caused by the drivers of the delivery vehicles being pressured by their company to meet deadlines, so the accidents were not due to the fault of the delivery vehicles as you have written, but due to human error.
I'm a Chubby Baby has never said it was the fault of the vehicles.

I'm a Chubby Baby has never said it was the fault of the vehicles.

Oh, that was amended to "delivery vehicles" in Post #2.

Poor weather conditions and delivery companiesvehicles also play a big rolepart in/play big roles in many car road traffic accidents.

Yeah, it's all Mr Bezos' fault. Including the weather. ;-)

Yeah, it's all Mr Bezos' fault. Including the weather. ;-)

Right. I'm not quite sure how the blame is being put on Amazon here. As with any road vehicle, it's the driver who has the responsibility to adhere to strict road safety practice. If I crash my car due to my own negligence, nobody's going to blame my wife for telling me to hurry up and get home.

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd probably now use "delivery drivers", not "vehicles".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back