Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi, one of my students took part in a competition and he wrote two sentences which were marked as incorrect. I'm not sure if it was right. Here they are:
1. Anne really likes when she is invited to parties. (according to the key it should be : Anne really likes being invited to parties)
2. I can't stand this weather. It's getting much worse. (according to the key: It's getting worse and worse)

Can't my student's answers be accepted? We only have two days to file an appeal.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. is odd but I would have to be pushed to say it's incorrect. It would be indisputably correct if your student had added an it after likes. My judgement here is that you do have a case for argument, but it's not a good one.

2. No, that's silly to say that your student's answer is wrong. Neither answer is particularly good as in both cases there is an obvious lack of coherence with the preceding context-setting sentence. I think one could make a weak argument that your student's answer is inferior in that it relies on unseen context (worse than what?) but I think a strong defence on behalf of your student would be that the question as given contains too little context to elicit the answer wanted by the test maker.

It may well depend to a large extent on the task instruction, though. What was it exactly?

redhead2772

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It may well depend to a large extent on the task instruction, though. What was it exactly?
It was a Polish/English translation. I totally agree with your statement about my student's first sentence. Adding 'it' would be much better. The sentence sounds odd to me as well, but I just wanted to make sure.
and the sentences looked like that:
1. Ann really likes …………………………………………… (jak jest zapraszana na)parties.
3. I can’t stand this weather. It’s getting …………………………………………… (corazgorsza).

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Ah, okay. Well, as I don't speak any Polish, I wouldn't want to comment further.

Status
Not open for further replies.