Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hausa
Home Country
Kyrgyzstan
Current Location
Oman
I wonder if both poorly written and badly written convey the idea that a text is of low quality. I'm hesitating over the usage of badly, since, as far as I know, it also means to a geat degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, they both mean the same thing.

There's no chance of anyone interpreting badly as a degree adverb in this context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wonder if both "poorly written" and "badly written" convey the idea that a text is of low quality. I'm hesitating over the usage of "badly", since afaik it also means "to a great degree".

Please note my corrections above. It's important to mark out words you're asking us to look at in some way. I've enclosed them in quotation marks. I have no idea what "afaik" means.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you don't like the writing, feel free to use badly.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As far as I know (AFAIK) is an acronym.
That's a new one for me. @Silverhand - please write the words out in full next time. Even in casual writing, you should capitalise every letter of such an acronym, as Amigos4 has done above.

Silverhand

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hausa
Home Country
Kyrgyzstan
Current Location
Oman
Yes, sorry. I was having a discussion on Reddit where it's uncommon to use proper punctuation and spelling. Believe or not, people think you're being passive-aggressive when you write correctly on the internet.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, sorry. I was having a discussion on Reddit where it's uncommon to use proper punctuation and spelling. Believe or not, some people think you're being passive-aggressive when you write correctly on the internet.
Well, this isn't Reddit and I can assure you there is nothing passive-aggressive about writing correctly anywhere.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have a friend in his 20s who thinks it's rude when I finish my text messages to him with a full stop. I despair.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Please note my corrections above. It's important to mark out words you're asking us to look at in some way. I've enclosed them in quotation marks. I have no idea what "afaik" means.
Afaik means "as far as I know". I've edited the post to expand it and advised the OP to avoid such chatlish.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I have a friend in his 20s who thinks it's rude when I finish my text messages to him with a full stop. I despair.

Kids today. 🙄

This may be an opportune time to remind people that "Netflix and Chill" has nothing to do with watching television.

Status
Not open for further replies.