Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi!
I know that the present simple is used when you are talking about habitual actions whereas the present continuous is used to describe something that is happening at the moment; in the following text I am not sure which is the right choice because I associate the use of expressions like "every day" with the use of the present simple; nevertheless the text is about something I'm doing. Can you help, please?

"For the next month I'm visting new places and meeeting new people. The best bit about the trip is that each day is different- every day I see new things and taste delicious new food. Some people may think I'm crazy but I'm not putting myself in danger. I understand the risks."

Is that ok, or should I say "every day I'm seeing new things and tasting delicious new food"? and what about " I'm not putting myself in danger."? It is something I'm doing, but it is also something I generally do.

Thanks for your kind reply

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Starting with "For the next month" means you're writing about future plans. The present simple doesn't work.

ripley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
And what if part of the text is a direct speech I mean ( I'll change the subject):
For the next month John is visiting new places and meeeting new people. "The best bit about the trip is that each day is different " every day I see new things and taste delicious new food" he says; "some people may think I'm crazy but I'm not putting myself in danger. I understand the risks.", he adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.