Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I applied your advice and have been interviewed for the role of Product Manager. The interview was well and the role is interesting but I see myself adding more value to your company in a bigger role with more responsibilities and challenges.

I appreciate any role within your company but you may agree with me that you can benefit more from me in a role in which I can use my full capabilities.

I am writing to you to check if the changes to the other role that I have been interviewed for in the first place with you made so that I can be considered for it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I took your advice and have been interviewed for the role of product manager. The interview went well and the role is interesting, but I see myself adding more value to your company in a bigger role with more responsibilities and challenges.

I would appreciate any role within your company but you may agree with me that you can benefit more from me in a role in which I can use my full capabilities.

I am writing to you to check if the changes to the other role that I have been interviewed for in the first place with you made so that I can be considered for it.

For some reason you insist on calling the position a role. You are also both complaining and lecturing.

If you really don't want the job why did you sit for an interview?

P.S. You seem to expect the company to make some changes just so they can hire you. (If they value you as highly as you value yourself, maybe they will.)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel is exactly right. I would not send that letter! It's argumentative and shows you don't want the job they interviewed you for.

You need to follow basic job interview etiquette. I've interviewed a lot of prospective employees, and I would reject anyone who sent that kind of follow-up letter.

It might translate differently in Arabic. But in English, it's bad. You're letting them know that you'll be difficult to work with.

You need to look at it their way: Of course they want to give you a job you're suited for! But which job that is is their decision. Your only decision is whether to take the job if they offer it.

Notice also that your ratio of I/me to you/your is eight to five. That's backwards. In most business letters, you should outnumber I.

Here's what they want and expect to get:

Thank you for taking time to interview me. Working for your company is a wonderful opportunity, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

This (a) affirms that you want the job and (b) shows that you know how to deport yourself. That's what they want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
In general, I think employers simply don't like to be told by interviewees what to do.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I appreciate any role within your company

It is very clear from the rest of your letter that that simply isn't true. It looks more and more all the time as if you don't appreciate anything these companies are doing for you. Your job hunt seems to be unnecessarily stressful, mainly because of the way you're going about it.

This is how we expect job hunting to go:

1. You spot a vacancy you're interested in.
2. You apply, using whatever method that company accepts - probably an application form and a covering letter.
3. You wait to hear if they want to interview you.
4. If you don't get an interview, you move on to a new job application.
5. If they offer you an interview, you go to the interview(s).
6. You wait to hear if you've been successful.
7. If you haven't, you consider writing a simple message thanking them for their time and asking if they have any useful feedback for you.
8. If you have been successful, you write a letter accepting the job offer and then sort out your start date.

Like Charlie, if I were involved in the hiring process, receiving such a confrontational letter would drive me to decide against hiring that person.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Economist, does our advice make sense to you?

We know how hard finding a job is. We're trying to help you by sharing our experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.