Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry, just to clarify, here you're talking about the first recording, right?

Your accent is very similar in the two recordings. I was writing about the first recording in post #19, but the same statement applies to your second recording.

andi harper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Your accent is very similar in the two recordings. I was writing about the first recording in post #19, but the same statement applies to your second recording.

Then can I choose to always pronounce all the LAWs with this vowel sound [ɑː] as in the first recording?

What do you think?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Then can I choose to always pronounce all the LAWs with this vowel sound [ɑː] as in the first recording?

What do you think?

You can. If you use the vowel sound from the second recording, your accent will sound a little more American.

andi harper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Azerbaijan
I cannot thank you enough for helping me with this, GoesStation. I'm truly grateful.:)
Just two more questions.
Remember that Americans pronounce the vowel in suit like the one in boot

Did I not pronounce it like "boot"?

Remember that Americans don't usually fully articulate final a final t.

Could you please tell me what final "a" and final "t" you're talking about?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I cannot thank you enough for helping me with this, GoesStation. I'm truly grateful.:)
Just two more questions.

Did I not pronounce it like "boot"?

I think a Russian habit slipped in and you pronounced the /oo/ sound like a Russian "soft U", if I have the terminology right, with a bit of a [j] sound at the beginning.

Could you please tell me what final "a" and final "t" you're talking about?

I'm sorry but I confused you with a typo. I've corrected the post that you quoted. It now says "Remember that Americans... don't usually fully articulate a final t." We don't emphasize the /t/ at the end of "lawsuit" but replace it with an unreleased t or a glottal stop. The flow of air stops when the tongue strikes the ridge at the top of the mouth.

CarrieHK

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi :)

There is a difference in how some states saw "Law." (Between New Jersey/Texas and Oregon, for Instance) I would say all of the times you say it, you sound great, except.... for "Law Enforcement." I listened a couple times to each, and to me, it sounds like a "Long i" sound. (As though you are saying "I") Sorry that I'm can't explain with proper terminology. I think it might have to have more of a "closed mouth" "aw?" Closer to the "O" sound in say... October or Odd. :)

The rest sound great, so I'm not sure what the difference in how you are forming the sound :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some AmE speakers in the Northeast add an /r/ to ease the pronunciation of phrases like law (r) enforcement. This is called an "intrusive r".

Status
Not open for further replies.