pronunciation: LAW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, just to clarify, here you're talking about the first recording, right?

Your accent is very similar in the two recordings. I was writing about the first recording in post #19, but the same statement applies to your second recording.

Your accent is very similar in the two recordings. I was writing about the first recording in post #19, but the same statement applies to your second recording.

Then can I choose to always pronounce all the LAWs with this vowel sound [ɑː] as in the first recording?

What do you think?

Then can I choose to always pronounce all the LAWs with this vowel sound [ɑː] as in the first recording?

What do you think?

You can. If you use the vowel sound from the second recording, your accent will sound a little more American.

I cannot thank you enough for helping me with this, GoesStation. I'm truly grateful.:)
Just two more questions.
Remember that Americans pronounce the vowel in suit like the one in boot

Did I not pronounce it like "boot"?

Remember that Americans don't usually fully articulate final a final t.

Could you please tell me what final "a" and final "t" you're talking about?

I cannot thank you enough for helping me with this, GoesStation. I'm truly grateful.:)
Just two more questions.

Did I not pronounce it like "boot"?

I think a Russian habit slipped in and you pronounced the /oo/ sound like a Russian "soft U", if I have the terminology right, with a bit of a [j] sound at the beginning.

Could you please tell me what final "a" and final "t" you're talking about?

I'm sorry but I confused you with a typo. I've corrected the post that you quoted. It now says "Remember that Americans... don't usually fully articulate a final t." We don't emphasize the /t/ at the end of "lawsuit" but replace it with an unreleased t or a glottal stop. The flow of air stops when the tongue strikes the ridge at the top of the mouth.

Hi :)

There is a difference in how some states saw "Law." (Between New Jersey/Texas and Oregon, for Instance) I would say all of the times you say it, you sound great, except.... for "Law Enforcement." I listened a couple times to each, and to me, it sounds like a "Long i" sound. (As though you are saying "I") Sorry that I'm can't explain with proper terminology. I think it might have to have more of a "closed mouth" "aw?" Closer to the "O" sound in say... October or Odd. :)

The rest sound great, so I'm not sure what the difference in how you are forming the sound :)

Some AmE speakers in the Northeast add an /r/ to ease the pronunciation of phrases like law (r) enforcement. This is called an "intrusive r".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back