Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
How do you pronounce "bona fide"? Dictionaries seem to give two pronunciations /bəʊnə ˈfaɪdi ORˈbəʊnə faɪd/ (and my pathetic search-in-google attempt led to more pronunciations). How do you pronounce it?

An example: "I must admit they're making a bona fide effort to complete the project in time".

I say /bəʊnə ˈfaɪdeɪ/

The American pronounciation is without the last syllable, "de". Anyway, all online dictionaries provide pronounciations.

The American pronounciation is without the last syllable, "de". Anyway, all online dictionaries provide pronounciations. (Pronunciations)
I know they do. The question is how people really pronounce it.

They're not English words; they're Latin. You have two choices: go with the original Latin pronunciation, or chose one of the many Anglicized versions out there. It's up to you.

Krummi & Soffía Björg made it rhyme with tonight in this song.

Last edited:
The dictionaries get everything they have from the real world. Of course, they can't go into much detail.

As for "bona fide" I've heard it pronounced two ways-- one way when it's used as an adjective and another way when it's used as a noun.

(Anglicized)

BO na feyed

Three syllables. "BO" like hair bow. "Eye" like eyeball.

I'd add that when used as a noun it is pluralized, or at any rate an s is added.. For example: "I am not questioning his bona fides ..." pronounced boe na fee days.

I would think "fides" is more commonly said like Ides of March. (Not that it is all that much commonly said.)

Oxford give several pronunciations:

Cambridge go for /iː/

There doesn't seem to be a universal standard.

I took Latin in high school. That's probably wjy I favour the Erasmian Latin pronunciation.

Consistent with the other responses about the American English pronunciation, I found it's pronounced /bəʊnə faɪd/ on the American TV show S.W.A.T. (Season 2, Episode 10):

HONDO: "Corey Barker. Bona fide maniac meth head out of Palmdale."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back