Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
None is correct.
"Put" is a transitive verb.
"Bin" needs a definite/indefinite article.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Has the post been edited? There are definite articles in 2/4/6, which are OK. 1 could be used on a sign, but not in a sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Has the post been edited? There are definite articles in 2/4/6, which are OK. 1 could be used on a sign, but not in a sentence.
The post hadn't been edited. I think tedmc assumed the OP was trying to write complete grammatical sentences.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
bin-rubbish-sustainable-johnston-street-funky-cool1.jpg
source https://www.weekendnotes.com/a-funky-way-to-keep-the-streets-clean/
@tedmc this photo shows "put in bin" is it wrong?
-----
Todl, emsr2d2, does it mean only these sentences are correct?
Put in the bin.
Put in the nearest bin.
Put below the doorbell.
-----
Todl, how to learn "1 could be used on a sign, but not in a sentence.", I never knew English on signs could be different from normal usage. Original post was not edited.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I assume 1 means my sentence 1 "Put in bin."

If "Put in bin." can be used on a sign, could "Put in nearest bin." and "Put below doorbell." be used on a sign since it looks similar sentence structure?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If "Put in bin." can be used on a sign, could "Put in nearest bin no full stop here" and "Put below doorbell no full stop here" be used on a sign since it looks they use a similar sentence structure?

Yes.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
If there is a full stop for the following sentences does it mean they are wrong?
Put in bin.
Put in nearest bin.
Put below doorbell.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Are these sentences correct?
Put below doorbell and SMS me delivered.
If nobody opens the door put in nearest bin.
If nobody opens the door put in bin.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are these sentences correct?

1. Put the parcel below the doorbell and SMS me to tell me it's been delivered.
2. If nobody opens the door, put it in the nearest bin.
3. If nobody opens the door, put it in the bin.
No. Those would need to be written as full sentences, so you need to include all the words required to make them grammatical. See above. Number 1 is simply too complicated to turn into the kind of "sign" wording we were talking about. Sentences 2 and 3 could just about be used as you wrote them in post #9 if you were limited on space. The meaning would still be clear.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
If I want to write a note on the address label for the delivery man to see, can I write "Put it below the doorbell then SMS delivered."?
I am trying to find a short and simple way to write a note, so the delivery man can read them faster and need not occupy unnecessary space.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Can this "Do not knock or ring bell" be written as this "Do not knock/ring bell" or Do not ring bell/knock"?

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
You edited my quote with the correct English in this quote:

If "Put in bin." can be used on a sign, could "Put in nearest bin no full stop here" and "Put below doorbell no full stop here" be used on a sign since it looks they use a similar sentence structure?"

Why "Put in bin." can use with full stop since you did not put "no full stop here" beside "Put in bin."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We are talking about normal sentences versus signage. Instructions on signs are often abbreviated to save space.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why can the first "Put in bin." can use with a full stop? since You did not put "no full stop here" beside the first "Put in bin."

I apologise. That was an error. I should have put "no full stop here" there too. What you need to remember is that you don't put a full stop inside quotation marks unless that full stop marks the end of the surrounding sentence. If the sentence continues after the closing quotation marks, don't include the full stop.

Here's an example:

He said "I don't like you." After that, I punched him. (The full stop is needed there because it marks the end of the sentence starting "He said".
He said "I don't like you" and then I punched him. (The full stop after "you" is omitted because the principal longer sentence starts with "He said" and ends with "punched him".

Note that this rule applies only to full stops. If the quoted sentence ends with a question mark or an exclamation mark, they should be included inside the quotation marks even if the longer sentence continues after the closing quotation marks.

He said "What's your name?" Something stopped me from telling him my real name so I said "Helen".
He said "What's your name?" but I decided not to tell him my real name.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'd call "Put in Bin" a slogan. Slogans don't need to be complete grammatical sentences.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
If I want to write a note on the address label for the delivery man to see, can I write "Put it below the doorbell then SMS delivered."?
I am trying to find a short and simple way to write a note, so the delivery man can read them faster and need not occupy unnecessary space.
Can this "Do not knock or ring bell" be written as this "Do not knock/ring bell" or Do not ring bell/knock"?
Can anyone reply to these questions? Thanks.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Do not knock or ring bell" is grammatically sound and clear in meaning. The other two might conceivably be (mis)interpreted as "Don't do one. Do the other."

Is the delivery person supposed to just leave the parcel at the door? Perhaps Singapore is more orderly than America but over here a parcel left like that has a pretty good chance of being stolen by a "porch pirate".

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
"Do not knock or ring bell" is grammatically sound and clear in meaning. The other two might conceivably be (mis)interpreted as "Don't do one. Do the other."

Is the delivery person supposed to just leave the parcel at the door? Perhaps Singapore is more orderly than America but over here a parcel left like that has a pretty good chance of being stolen by a "porch pirate".
The delivery person is suppose to knock or ring doorbell and pass the parcel to anyone in the house, if nobody opens the door then he will text or call the buyer to ask if he can leave the parcel at the door or send it another day.

Just curious, what happens if nobody opens the door for the delivery person in your country?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my country, Canada, it varies depending which firm is trying to make the delivery. Usually after two failed attempts they leave a card asking you to pick it up at their depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.