Put on, spray on, apply on, wear perfume.

Andraw

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Germany
Hello all techers, would you please tell me what is the main difference between these four expressions " Put on, spray on, apply on, and wear perfume"?
2- Can we say " I will wear perfume "? Will this mean the same as when we say " I will put on perfume " or "I will apply on perfume " or " I will spray on perfume "?
Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, all teachers. Note that there is no need for a greeting. Just go ahead with your question. It saves time and space for everyone.

W
ould you please tell me What is the main difference between these four expressions choices?

Put on perfume.
2. Spray on perfume.
3. Apply on perfume. and
4. Wear perfume.

2- Can we say "I will wear perfume"? Will this Does it mean the same as when we say "I will put on perfume", or "I will apply on perfume" or "I will spray on perfume"?

Thanks in advance. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find helpful.
Welcome to the forum. Please note my corrections and comments above, and my improvements to the layout.

1 is grammatically correct.
2 is grammatically correct but unnatural. We wouldn't say that.
3 is wrong. We don't say "apply on".
4 is grammatically correct as an imperative.

Note that they are all imperatives. You're telling someone to do something.

"Put on" and "apply", in this context, mean the same. They both refer to the action of putting perfume onto your body.

Yes, you can say "I will wear perfume". It means that, at some unspecified point in the future, you plan to put perfume on your body. Remember that perfume isn't always sprayed on. Sometimes it comes in a little bottle with a small hole at the top and you would apply it direct to the body or put a little on a finger and then apply it to your body with your finger.

Andraw

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Germany
Well, thanks for your correction,and they are all considered. If we can't say apply on, do we say apply perfume without the preposition on? Or you mean it's totally wrong? Because I saw some natives, as I think they are, wrote " apply perfume on their bodies", yet I am not sure 100% if this expression used indead in the academic exams such as TOFLE and IELTS.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, thanks for your corrections. and they are all considered. I will carefully consider all of them.

If we can't say "apply on", do we say "apply perfume" without the preposition "on" no question mark here or do you mean it's totally wrong?

Because I saw some natives, as I think they are, wrote I think I've seen some native English speakers write "apply perfume on their bodies", yet I am not sure 100% sure if this expression can be used indead in the academic exams such as TOFLE TOEFL and IELTS.
"Apply on" is wrong. We say "apply [something] to [something/someone]", so we would say, for example "I applied perfume to my neck and wrists".
"... apply perfume on the body" is wrong.

Note my corrections above. Remember that we don't put a space after opening quotation marks or before closing quotation marks. You need to mark out each word/phrase you're asking about in some way. I've used quotation marks in the quote box above.

Andraw

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Germany
"Apply on" is wrong. We say "apply [something] to [something/someone]", so we would say, for example "I applied perfume to my neck and wrists".
"... apply perfume on the body" is wrong.

Note my corrections above. Remember that we don't put a space after opening quotation marks or before closing quotation marks. You need to mark out each word/phrase you're asking about in some way. I've used quotation marks in the quote box above.
What's wrong with "they are all considered"? I wanted to say that I always consider all of your corrections. What if have said "they will be all considered"?

2) Why shall I write "will be used"? I'm taking about the actual general situation and what happens in usual not what will happen.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"They are all considered" is not appropriate for this context. If you said "They will all be considered", I would take that to mean that you'll have a look at them and then decide whether to take any notice of them or ignore them!

I don't know where you can see "will be used".
Did you mean the part where I changed "I am not sure if this expression used ..." to "I'm not sure if this expression can be used ..."? If so, your version was ungrammatical. If you'd said "... if this expression is used ...", I might not have changed it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@cpsglobal Please note that you need to change your username. Your current name is the name of a website so your username is considered to be advertising, which we don't allow here. If you need help changing your username, please post in the Support Area. (I have also sent you a PM about this so please check your PM folder.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@cpsglobal
I don't think "apply perfume" is all that formal. It's just another way of saying it. Also, "wear perfume" is different from the rest.

Is there a special reason you are calling attention to this thread?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note to moderators: Post #6 is an AI-generated answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pet peeve alert!

Saying somebody is wearing perfume doesn't imply anything. It means they have it on them -- probably on purpose.

End of alert.