Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I have come across these two phrasal verbs...to put somebody down and to run someobody down and I have checked them in the dictionary and it says that they both mean to criticize people. But then relating to "run someone down" it also says to disparage someone, while relating to "put someone down" is to humilate. Since I have not caught them quite well, could you please help me with that by explaining how you usually use them in everyday's English with some examples?

Thank you very much

p.s. I have edited the thread as you wanted to. I hope you enjoy it and you can help me with this.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please edit your post removing all the unnecessary ellipses (...). We don't join sentences like that. You also need a punctuation mark at the end of your last sentence.

caesar1983

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I have corrected the thread as you wanted to....I hope you enjoy it now and you can help me. Any help?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have come across these two phrasal verbs...to put somebody down and to run someobody down and I have checked them in the dictionary and it says that they both mean to criticize people. But then relating to "run someone down" it also says to disparage someone, while relating to "put someone down" is to humilate. Since I have not caught them quite well, could you please help me with that by explaining how you usually use them in everyday's English with some examples?

Thank you very much

p.s. I have edited the thread as you wanted to. I hope you enjoy it and you can help me with this.

They have similar meanings. Both involve criticizing, insulting, and demeaning. In my usage, the "run" form is a bit more aggressive than the "put" form, but that may not be universal.

caesar1983

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Any more opinions?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If I run someone down, I criticise them, eg:
Claire always arrives late for her lessons, rarely corrects homework, and lets her students run wild.
She's the worst teacher we've ever had.

If I put someone down, I make them appear stupid or inadequate, eg:
Peter's book on France has some good points. He spelt 'Paris' correctly at least twice.

:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.