Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Which tense is better?

My boss shouts at me often. But I have put up with it.

My boss shouts at me often. But I put up with it.

My boss shouts at me often. But I am putting up with it.

But it's completely a different nuance.
I combined the two sentences to make it a compound sentence, which I think is better in this case. (It usually is.)

I combined the two sentences to make it a compound sentence, which I think is better in this case. (It usually is.)
It's not better or worse. It's just out of the scope of the question.

It's more natural English than your versions.

Maybe, but I am not asking for natural English, moreover, it carries the idea which shouldn't be there. I never said that I have to put up with it. Who said that I have to? I don't have to, I just voluntarily made this choice.

Which tense is better?

My boss shouts at me often. But I put up with it.

My boss shouts at me often. But I am putting up with it.
I believe it's not the matter of better or worse. If you have already accepted the way your boss behaves, it's option 1. If it's behaviour that you have to tolerate on a regular basis, it's option 2. If you are trying to accept the situation hoping one day you'll be able to tolerate your boss's behaviour, it's option 3.

Last edited:
I never said that I have to put up with it. Who said that I have to? I don't have to, I just voluntarily made this choice.
It is as natural for the listener to assume you feel obligated to tolerate your boss's yelling at you as it is for the listener to assume you care about keeping your job.

I just realized that I saw a word that isn't there.* Unfortunately, I don't know what to make of that. The original sentence makes no sense to me.

___________________________________.
*The brain does that sometimes. It "sees" what it's expecting to see.

I suspect I may have done the same.

My apologies, Roftok.

Post #9 deals with the original question without the misreading.

I'm pretty sure many of us native speakers accidentally read it as "... but I have to put up with it", at least to begin with.

I just realized that I saw a word that isn't there.* Unfortunately, I don't know what to make of that. The original sentence makes no sense to me.

___________________________________.
*The brain does that sometimes. It "sees" what it's expecting to see.
Really? I don't see the original sentence, I see three original sentences.

Really? I don't see the original sentence, I see three original sentences.
It was clear from the context that Tarheel was referring to the original first sentence.

Reactions: 5jj
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back