Rate my GenAm accent and guess where I'm from? Show your accent detection skills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenvn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
[FONT=bariol_regularregular]I'd like to think my accent game is pretty good... It'd be interesting to see what other people think, especially Americans... Bonus point to whoever can correctly guess where I was born and raised.

Reading out loud:

[/FONT]
https://vocaroo.com/i/s00yKrB4KfBf

Impromptu recording:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0slqJ5sEKMy

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some people might play the game but you need to assure us that once it's over, you will correct the information in your Member Profile.

Kenvn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Some people might play the game but you need to assure us that once it's over, you will correct the information in your Member Profile.

Sounds fair. I'll make sure to do that. :)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think you were born and raised in Hertfordshire, UK, and you've been practising your US accents watching westerns. Am I right?

Kenvn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
I think you were born and raised in Hertfordshire, UK, and you've been practising your US accents watching westerns. Am I right?

Nope! Not a native English speaker, at all. Also... I don't know why I get this western accent when I read haha, I just happen to tap into my inner narrator. I have a very generic standard American accent in more conversational settings.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It sounds a bit WestWorld intro to me. It isn't that clear where you're from, so you do not have an identifiable accent, but it doesn't come across as native AmE to me.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought he was a native speaker of American English, though I didn't listen to the whole recording. I couldn't place the accent to a region. A lot of American English speakers speak with a neutral accent that's untraceable by most listeners.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Scandinavia? Sweden?

Do228

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe

PHenry1026

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It this is on the up-and-up, my guess is that your parents are either Americans or Canadians and you grew up in a foreign country; they were diplomats or military?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your mother was part Cherokee, part Han Chinese and your father was a Spanish vacuum cleaner salesman. You were born in Tuvalu but emigrated to Kosovo when you were just three years old. Fleeing from violence, your family moved to Santa Rosa, Texas, where you spent your formative years and perfected your US accent. Now you live on Barry Island, South Wales, where you work as a careers advisor and mentor to underprivileged kids.

If that's not right, I give up.

suikerbossie

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
Italy
Born and grew up in South America. Brazil, Venezuela ?? Studied in the USA somewhere....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Both links seem to lead to the same clip so we can't listen to the impromptu one. I'd have said you were a native AmE speaker though I wouldn't have been able to say where from - there's a bit of what I call "southern twang" to it, but I'm not familiar enough with specific North American accents to try to pinpoint it.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I think you're a non-native speaker of English who is quite good at mimicking. Please try a British accent and let us hear it.
:)

Kenvn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
I think you're a non-native speaker of English who is quite good at mimicking. Please try a British accent and let us hear it.
:)

Here's one: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0VgyzKu2KAC

First time I record myself speaking British English. Never paid much attention to it and never really had proper exposure to RP(?) or British English in general aside from your run-of-the-mill fantasy films and Game of Thrones. It's probably not very good, but, yeah... Also, I'm from Sweden. Somebody on the previous page made the right guess.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I only listened to the first 45 seconds or so but that's a pretty impressive stab at an English accent. There were a few American twangs, a couple of mispronunciations ("brooch" for example) and one word (I can't remember which now) that sounds Australian but, all in all, very well done.

I have to say that the Swedish people I've met in the past have all had a great command of English and some of them had little trace of an accent. Must be a national talent!

As previously requested, now that the game is over, please correct all the information in your member profile. Thanks.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
First time I record myself speaking British English. Never paid much attention to it and never really had proper exposure to RP(?) or British English in general aside from your run-of-the-mill fantasy films and Game of Thrones. It's probably not very good, but, yeah... Also, I'm from Sweden. Somebody on the previous page made the right guess.

Ha! I said Sweden! What do I win?

By the way, your British accent is excellent. You have an approximately middle-class, well-articulated, southern English sound, with only very occasional and slight lapses into American pronunciation. Damn you Swedes for being way too talented with languages!

How about you try one more for our entertainment? Australian, Canadian, or South African?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OP, if you can pull off the subtle differences between your American accent and a Canadian one, I will personally fax you a Molson. Apologies in advance if it's flat when it arrives.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Here's one: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0VgyzKu2KAC

First time I record myself speaking British English.

For a first time try, it is very impressive. It sounds like an American actor doing a reasonable British accent. Try a Cockney accent next. If you can do leave it out like Captain Jack Sparrow, you will be a star. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.