Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Can someone please check if the following sentence is correct - especially the use of the preposition "to" and the semicolon?
Thank you very much for your comments!

I would like to experience short-term euphoria, and see my work in a new perspective; overcome the illusions of my own experiencing, and offer my work in a mutual discussion to gain, for me and others, some new impulses for our work.

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know the context (is this for a CV? A mission statement?), but I would remove the comma after "euphoria" and change the semicolon after "perspective" to a comma. It really is a very long and wordy sentence, perhaps it should be broken into two statements. "Experiencing" should be "experience" in this case (you want a noun as the object of your prepositional phrase).

Isobela

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you very much, Jill. I was afraid that there were more mistakes than just those you corrected. Would it be a mistake to write all the verbs with "to"? - I would like to experience... and to see my work... to overcome the illusions... and to offer my work? This is what I would really like to know. Thank you again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would not recommend using "to" each time. So much repetition of any word sounds unnatural.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can someone please check if the following sentence is correct - especially the use of the preposition "to" and the semicolon?
Thank you very much for your comments!

I would like to experience short-term euphoria, and see my work in a new perspective; overcome the illusions of my own experiencing, and offer my work in a mutual discussion to gain, for me and others, some new impulses for our work.

May I offer two suggestions?
First, as has already been said, it would be better to split the sentence into two shorter ones, perhaps as follows:

I would like to experience short-term euphoria, and overcome the illusions of my own experiencing. To see my work in a new perspective, I would offer it in a mutual discussion, to gain, for me and others, some new impulses for our work.

Second, let me offer this as a simpler statement of what I think you are trying to say:

I would like to experience joy, and be able to overcome any illusions I retain from my past. Also, I would like to join with others in discussing our work, to get new perspectives on it and gain fresh impulses for future efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.