......replace the time now spend / spent on mindless device use.

Chun Hsu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How to understand the meaning of a sentence?

Here is the sentence: "In these chapters, I examine issues such as the importance of solitude and the necessity of cultivating high-quality leisure to replace the time now spend on mindless device use."
This sentence appears in the third passage in 2023 Chinese National College Entrance Examination. How should I comprehend the use ofthe word "spend" in the part "......to replace the time now spend on mindless device use."? Why not use "spent" as Past Participles Used as Attributes?Thank you for your help.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "spend" is wrong there. It should be "spent".

It's an error.

Try: "How can I understand the meaning of a sentence?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How to can I/should I/ do we understand the meaning of a the following sentence?

Here is the sentence:

"In these chapters, I examine issues such as the importance of solitude and the necessity of cultivating high-quality leisure to replace the time now spend on mindless device use."

This sentence appears in the third passage in of the 2023 Chinese National College Entrance Examination. How should I comprehend the use of space here the word "spend" in the part "... to replace the time now spend on mindless device use no full stop here"? Why not use "spent" as a past participle s used as an attributes

Thank you for your help. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any post you find helpful.
Please note my corrections and comments above.

Remember this one thing (even if you forget everything else) - we never start a "How" question with "How to".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
to replace the time (that is typically) now spend spent (by many people) on mindless device use."
I agree that "spend" should be "spent". It was probably a typo that was not caught by the proofreader. The added words in parenthesis are mine. Do you understand it now?

Chun Hsu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Remember this one thing (even if you forget everything else) - we never start a "How" question with "How to".
I agree that "spend" should be "spent". It was probably a typo that was not caught by the proofreader. The added words in parenthesis are mine. Do you understand it now?
Thank you for your guidance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please note that I have changed your title (for the second time). Your actual question/request should appear only in the main body of the post. Titles should be unique, relevant to the thread and contain some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us to talk about.

Chun Hsu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I am an English beginner, so I made many grammar mistakes in my post. Thank you for pionting them out.

Chun Hsu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, I understand it now. Thank you.

Chun Hsu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please note that I have changed your title (for the second time). Your actual question/request should appear only in the main body of the post. Titles should be unique, relevant to the thread and contain some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us to talk about.
It is my first time that I have sought help from foreign forums. I habitually express myself according to the Chinese online posting method. Now I know how to create a proper title. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Chun Hsu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am an English beginner, so I made many grammar mistakes in my post. Thank you for pionting them out.
I have changed my title. Is it proper now?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "spend" is wrong there. It should be "spent".

It's an error.

Try: "How can I understand the meaning of a sentence?"
Ron, say: "How should I understand the meaning of the following sentence?"

Chun Hsu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I've been thinking about this sentence for a long time. I can't believe they would make such mistakes. I think it might be a grammatical phenomenon that I don't understand. After all, the college entrance examination is the most important exam in China, and in my opinion, there should be no grammatical mistakes in such a paper.

Chun Hsu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

China's college entrance exam is like the SAT in the United States. I don't think there should be any grammatical mistakes in the paper. But the use of “spend” in that sentence does not agree with the English grammar I have learned.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I can't believe they would make such mistakes. I think it might be a grammatical phenomenon that I don't understand.
It is a mistake.
After all, the college entrance examination is the most important exam in China, and in my opinion, there should be no grammatical mistakes in such a paper.
There shouldn't be, but there sometimes are.

Chun Hsu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

There are a lot of articles with the title "how to......"as a title. And I thought it was okay to use it as a title of a post in forums. Now, I know it is wrong. Thank you for your instruction.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are a lot of articles with the title "how to......"as a title. And I thought it was okay to use it as a title of a post in forums. Now, I know it is wrong. Thank you for your instruction.
I would imagine that they explain how to do something in those articles. You didn't do that, did you?

peterking

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's from a book entitled "Digital Minimalism," which is written by a tech-savvy intellectual named Cal Newport, Hsu. And the original one is "To replace the time most now dedicate to mindless device use."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's from a book entitled "Digital Minimalism", which is written by a tech-savvy intellectual named Cal Newport, Hsu. And The original one excerpt is "... to replace the time most now dedicate to mindless device use."
The original is grammatically correct. Whoever tried to paraphrase it in order to put it in the exam made a mistake and put "spend" instead of "spent". They also completely changed the meaning of the sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am an English beginner no comma here so I made many a lot of grammar mistakes in my post. Thank you for pointing them out.
Note my corrections above. We rarely use "many" in positive statements.
It is my the first time that I have sought help from a foreign forums forum.
I have changed my title. Is it proper correct/suitable/appropriate now?
I've been thinking about this sentence for a long time. I can't believe they would make such mistakes a mistake.
China's college entrance exam is like the SAT in the United States. I don't think there should be any grammatical mistakes in the paper no full stop here but the use of “spend” in that sentence does not agree with the English grammar I have learned.
There are a lot of articles with the title starting "How to ..." as a title. And I thought it was okay to use it as a title of a post in forums. Now no comma here I know it is wrong. Thank you for your instruction help/advice.