Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I have a question about "run for presidency"/"run for the presidency"

(in this case, it's about a presidential election)

• He will run for the presidency.
  • He will run for presidency.
I am not sure if the definite article 'the' is necessary. I've found that both are used in news articles but I am not sure what is the difference between them.

Please let me know what is correct and if both are correct, then please explain what the difference between the two sentences is.

I find "run for presidency" unnatural. I'd expect either the version with the article or "run for president". Our AmE-speaking friends might have another opinion, though.

I find "run for presidency" unnatural. I'd expect either the version with the article or "run for president". Our AmE-speaking friends might have another opinion, though.
Thank you for your response. I appreciate it

I also found 'presidency' with the article(the) is way more commonly used (in American news outlets like nyt, etc). But I found this from a New York Times article.

The plutocracy’s renewed interest in Mr. Bloomberg pursuing a run for presidency is the confluence of several factors, according to conversations with some of New York’s business boldfaced names. One is an anxiety by some Democrats that Hillary Rodham Clinton has been forced to move too far to the left on issues related to business, regulations and taxes.
(source: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/20/business/dealbook/a-bloomberg-run-drums-are-beating.html)

In this, presidency is used as uncountable. And I found 'for presidency (without the article)' in some articles, even though it's just a few. Maybe it's a mistake?

I doubt it's a mistake. I imagine it's just one of those cases where both are possible but, over the years, one has become more common than the other. Note that in my first response I said I found it unnatural. I didn't say it was wrong.

It's unnatural. NY Times notwithstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back