Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Thailand
What kind of verb is the word "run" in the sentence "It's a shame cities aren't run like this." ? I think it's a past participle, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Alamshar

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Spain
"run" in this context means "manage". It refers to the management of the city but I'm guessing you know the meaning already
It is not the past participle. It is the passive form. There is no need to mention the "doer" of the action because it is already understood OR it is not important.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is not the past participle. It is the passive form.
It is the past participle (or 'third form' as I prefer to call it). This is the form that is used, with an appropriate form of BE, for the passive.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What kind of verb is the word "run" in the sentence "It's a shame cities aren't run like this." ? I think it's a past participle, but correct me if I'm wrong.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) Active: The authorities do not run cities like this.

(2) Passive: Cities are not run like this (by the authorities).

(3) It is a shame (that) cities are not run like this. = It (that cities are not run like this) is a shame.

(a) I believe that "cities are not run like this" is a noun clause in apposition with "it."

(b) If you said, "It is a shame," your listener, of course, would ask: What is a shame?

You would reply, "Oh, that cities are not run like this [is a shame]."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is not the past participle. It is the passive form.
:cross:

The passive is formed with the verb be (or get) + past participle, so how is run not the past participle?

Your answer is wrong. Please do not answer questions incorrectly. The passive form here is aren't run and run is a past participle.

Status
Not open for further replies.