Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
[FONT=&#26032] Save vs Except

The following sentence is taken out from my legal papers.

Sub-paragraph (2) is denied, save it is admitted that the Defendant purchased the Property as a sole owner because the Plaintiff could not be the owner for the aforementioned reason.
[/FONT]
If I replace "save" to except", should it be OK?
[FONT=&#26032][/FONT][FONT=&#26032][/FONT]Lastly, I don't understand these law people who tend to not writing plain English even in the year of 2020.
Thank you for all teachers without any remuneration to assist me!

By the way, I might still not get the fonts right, but I have been trying. I am sorry for the trouble![FONT=&#26032][/FONT]

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Save vs Except

The following sentence is taken out from my legal papers.

Sub-paragraph (2) is denied, save [STRIKE]it is admitted [/STRIKE] for admitting that the Defendant purchased the Property as a sole owner because the Plaintiff could not be the owner for the aforementioned reason.

If I replace "save" to except", should it be OK? Yes
Lastly, I don't understand these law people who tend to not [STRIKE]writing[/STRIKE] write in plain English even in the year of 2020.
Thank you for all teachers without any remuneration to assist me!

By the way, I might still not [STRIKE]get [/STRIKE] have got the fonts right, but I have been trying. I am sorry for the trouble! You have got it right now.

The legal jargon is the phrasal verb "save for"and not just "save", which means "except (someone or something, a noun)".

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, 3ebu, if you changed "save" to "except" the meaning would be unchanged. There are a number of reasons that lawyers tend to use technical language. They can be sumnarized in four words: tradition, precision, efficiency and laziness. For a person versed in legal jargon it is quicker and easier to use it. Writing something in so-called plain English without loss of clarity and precision is difficult and time-consuming.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In this particular document, 'save' seems to mean 'unless'.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Why do you want to change the wording? If you need clarification, can't you ask the lawyer?

If you're trying to improve your English, I think you should focus on more basic stuff. For instance:
If I replace "save" [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] with "except",

Status
Not open for further replies.