Seeking ideas and collaboration for designing an English ESP course for tourism police

LawrenceArabia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Jordan
Hello fellow ESL instructors, curriculum developers, ...

I am currently embarking on a project to design an English for Specific Purposes (ESP) course tailored for the Jordanian tourism police. As part of this endeavor, I am seeking your valuable insights, ideas, and collaboration to ensure the course's success.

The objective of the course is to equip the tourism police with English language skills that will enable them to effectively communicate with international tourists and ensure a positive visitor experience. The course will primarily focus on language aspects relevant to tourism-related situations, such as handling inquiries, providing directions, ensuring safety, and delivering information about local attractions.

I am particularly interested in recommendations for suitable textbooks, teaching materials, and resources that align with the needs of this specific learner group. If you have any experience using or developing materials specifically for ESP courses or teaching English for tourism purposes, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, if any curriculum developers or experienced instructors are interested in collaborating on this project, I would be thrilled to discuss the possibility of working together to create a comprehensive and engaging course. Your expertise and insights would undoubtedly enrich the learning experience for this target audience.

Thank you in advance for your time and support. I look forward to your responses and the opportunity to collaborate with fellow professionals in this exciting educational endeavor.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum.

Once this project is complete, will the course you're designing be free or charged for? If it's the latter, then presumably you're seeking people to work for/with you in return for renumeration. I'd be grateful if you would clarify that. Bear in mind that if you're offering members here paid work, communication on the subject would need to be done by private message, a facility you won't be able to use here until you have made ten successful public posts.

LawrenceArabia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

Once this project is complete, will the course you're designing be free or charged for? If it's the latter, then presumably you're seeking people to work for/with you in return for renumeration. I'd be grateful if you would clarify that. Bear in mind that if you're offering members here paid work, communication on the subject would need to be done by private message, a facility you won't be able to use here until you have made ten successful public posts.
Thank you for the welcome.

I am not selling the course but the project is part of my job. And yes, if people want to participate I am willing to pay for their effort. Thank you for the clarification of your rules regarding private communication. At this stage I just want to see if there are ready made solutions I can use. If not, we'll proceed to building a customized course.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do tourism police tell visitors about local attractions?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That seems to be pretty clear in the original text:
"The course will primarily focus on language aspects relevant to tourism-related situations, such as handling inquiries, providing directions, ensuring safety, and delivering information about local attractions."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, since you have taken on the role of the OP, let me inform you that "delivering information about local attractions" is entirely unnatural. (Who says that?) That might have been my point.

LawrenceArabia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Jordan
Hi Tarheel. Good question. In some countries they do. That was a generic paragraph of what they may be expected to do. I don't have a formal job description yet of what they'll be doing. I'll have a better idea in the coming few weeks when I meet with one of the stakeholders and will update this thread accordingly.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, since you have taken on the role of the OP, let me inform you that "delivering information about local attractions" is entirely unnatural. (Who says that?) That might have been my point.
It wasn't at all clear that you were commenting on the language used in that sentence. It sounded like a straight-up question.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@emsr2d2 I was too subtle again.
I have to agree. It's really important to use the quote boxes to make it clear what you're referring to. If you had quoted that portion of the original post, and then said something like "That sentence is not natural English. I would rephrase it as ...", there would have been no confusion.