several groups that support minority researchers in AI ended sponsorship agreements with Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Almost 7,000 researchers and engineers, including more than 2,600 from Google, signed a petition in December 2020 calling for an overhaul of the company’s research integrity. In February, the firm fired Gebru’s colleague Mitchell after she searched for incidents of discrimination against Gebru in her company e-mail. Two other Google employees left the company outraged at Gebru’s treatment, and several groups that support minority researchers in AI ended sponsorship agreements with Google.

Source: Nature

With the sponsorship agreements, can you see who gives money to who? The groups give Google, or Google gives the groups? It seems to me the former is the case, but I am not absolutely sure.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would need more details to comment. However, my guess is that those groups sponsor specific programs and not Google.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I imagine it's that Google sponsor the groups.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Do the groups give money to Google, or does Google give money to the groups?

After giving it more thought, it's more likely to be Google who's doing the sponsoring. (They have megabucks.)

To turn down money is a serious step.

Status
Not open for further replies.