She said, "I drink black coffee every morning".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
When I was reading about 'direct' and 'indirect speech', I learned that habitual, historic, and some famous quotes/sayings can not being changed when making them 'direct speech' except for 'that' right before the 'reported speech'.

Sarah said, "I drink black coffee every morning".

Do you think that above 'direct speech' can be changed into 'indirect speech' as:

Sarah said that she drank black coffee every morning.

I think it's a habitual fact and, therefore, shouldn't not be changed except the 'inverted commas' and 'that'. It should be as:

Sarah said that she drinks black coffee every morning.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You still have a basic misunderstanding of what direct/indirect speech means.

Sarah: "I drink black coffee every morning".

This is direct speech. These are the exact words that Sarah said. You can tell this by the speech marks.

These two sentences are not direct speech. They do not quote exactly the words she used. However, these sentences do tell us something about what she said. This is what is meant by 'indirect'. The sentences tell us indirectly what she said.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
You still have a basic misunderstanding of what direct/indirect speech means.

Sarah: "I drink black coffee every morning".

This is direct speech. These are the exact words that Sarah said. You can tell this by the speech marks.

These two sentences are not direct speech. They do not quote exactly the words she used. However, these sentences do tell us something about what she said. This is what is meant by 'indirect'. The sentences tell us indirectly what she said.

Fair enough, but we have sidetracked the core point that I discussed about in my post #1.

When I was reading about 'direct' and 'indirect speech', I learned that habitual, historic, and some famous quotes/sayings can not be changed when making them 'indirect speech' except for 'that' right before the 'reported speech'.

It's a habitual action, and therefore should not lose its originality when we want to write/say it in 'indirect speech'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.