Since then, Laowai Jie has transformed greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The logic of "since then" appears to be questionable to me since it follows "today you'll see reminders of this history with statues and plaques".

Does it appear to be questionable to you native speakers too? Should the phrase "Since then, Laowai Jie has transformed greatly" be moved to follow "their...journeys" - put a period after the journeys, of course.

LaowaiJie (Shanghai) is pedestrian Lane 3338 off Hongmei Lu in Gubei District. During the days of communism, this area is where Chairman Mao’s 101 trains ended their cross-nation journeys, and today you’ll see reminders of this history with statues and plaques. Since then, LaowaiJie has transformed greatly.

Source:Top Eateries on Laowai Jie(老外街)in Shanghai

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with you.

It should say ... this area was where ...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the Communist Party still in charge?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Thank you, GoodTaste, for your informative post.

I was motivated to check the Web for more information, which I found fascinating.

I feel that most native speakers would be confused by the last paragraph. So this is how I would try to explain it to Americans.

Laowai Jie (Foreigners Street) is located in Shanghai's Gubei District. Chairman Mao's cross-country train journeys used to terminate there. Since then, however, the street has been completely transformed. Besides there being statues and plaques commemorating its historic roots, it is now also home to many popular restaurants and other commercial enterprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.