[General] Some IPA of names

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the symbol /i:/ represents a sustained (long) vowel, as in sheep, not a schwa. (The two dots are meant to show that the vowel can be sustained.)

The schwa, represented by /ə/, is the short unstressed 'uh' sound, as in station and potato.

I thought it was the same as "diseases".

You thought what was the same as "diseases"?

So the symbol /i:/ represents a sustained (long) vowel, as in sheep, not a schwa. (The two dots are meant to show that the vowel can be sustained.)

The schwa, represented by /ə/, is the short unstressed 'uh' sound, as in station and potato.

Thanks. I had a nagging feeling I was making a mistake. I should have held my virtual tongue.

Hi teachers.

Would you please type me the IPA of these words? I can't find the IPAs of them online.

Chevrolet
Brendan Duggan

We don't emphasize the first syllable in American English: shev-rə-LAY.

If you look very closely at the IPA, you'll see two tiny marks—one before the first syllable, at the bottom, and one before the last syllable, at the top. These mark stress.

A stress mark at the top marks primary stress and a stress mark at the bottom marks secondary stress. So in American English, both syllables are indeed stressed, but one has more stress than the other.

Interestingly (or not), most Brits would stress these syllables the other way round, i.e., with primary stress on the first syllable.

Hi teachers.

Would you please type me the IPA of the word "brachii"?

Here's the context. The biceps brachii, commonly known as the biceps, is a two-headed muscle that lies on the upper arm between the shoulder and the elbow. (From wikipedia.com)

Hi teachers.

Would you please type me the IPA of the word "brachii"?

Here's the context. The biceps brachii, commonly known as the biceps, is a two-headed muscle that lies on the upper arm between the shoulder and the elbow. (From wikipedia.com)

brachii
adjective
ANATOMY specialized
UK
/ˈbreɪ.ki.aɪ/ US
/ˈbreɪ.ki.aɪ/

a Latin word meaning "of the arm", used in medical names and descriptions

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/brachii

Hi teachers.

I wonder if you show me the IPA of these two words in the following context.

1) I'm suspending judgment on the book I'm reading until I've finished it.

Should it be "t" or "d"?

2) Sam blocked the corridor off with a row of chairs.

Should it be "roh"?

For me, /d/.

"roh". Row rhymes with "now" only when it means "argument". It's rarely used in that sense in American English.

Don't try to transcribe individual words if they occur in context. You should aim to transcribe the whole utterance. The final '-ed' of finished is pronounced as /d/ in this context.

In sentence 2, row is pronounced to rhyme with 'know' and 'grow'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back