Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct the mistakes in my sentences, which I wrote just as an exercise? I am not sure if I used the prepositions correctly in the first sentence.

Some people become members of a political party from conviction, some for material gains, others again for status, still others for their ideals. It seems that the last group becomes the quickest disappointed when they are faced with the harsh reality. They have believed they were going to change the party to the better, but soon they encounter obstacles that are impossible to overcome. The old guard are not interested in their lofty ideals but to maintain the status quo. They don't like to be told by the newcomers that there are other ways to lead a party and improve society. This is one of the reasons why changes in politics happen slowly and why young people shun political parties.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would you please correct the mistakes in my sentences, which I wrote just as an exercise? I am not sure if I have used the prepositions correctly in the first sentence.

Some people become members of a political party [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] based on their convictions, some for material [STRIKE]gains[/STRIKE] gain, others [STRIKE]again[/STRIKE] for status, and [STRIKE]still[/STRIKE] others [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] because of their ideals.

It seems [to me] that the last group [STRIKE]becomes[/STRIKE] is the quickest to be disappointed when [STRIKE]they are[/STRIKE] faced with the harsh reality.
They [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] believed they were going to change the party [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] for the better, but soon they encounter obstacles that are impossible to overcome.

The old guard are not interested in their lofty ideals but [STRIKE]to maintain[/STRIKE] in maintaining the status quo.
They don't like to be told by [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] newcomers that there are other ways to lead a party and improve society.

This is one of the reasons why changes in politics happen slowly and why young people shun political parties.

emsr2d2

Status
Not open for further replies.