Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi all.

Under which circumstances is it possible to place the first in a series of adjectives in front of the indefinite article?

Is it a mere stylistic device?

I don't understand your question. And how does the title relate to it? Did you write that as an example? Please explain what you mean, and give us a sentence or two to illustrate the question you have in mind.

"Spearheading" is not an adjective.

Yes. I should have been clearer. I thought the connection was straightforward.

You are right in stating it is not an adjective, but it is being used here as such (in my probably wrong opinion) :)

You are right in stating it is not an adjective, but it is being used here as such (in my probably wrong opinion) :)
I see. No, spearheading is a verb in the headline you quoted. The headline means something like Leading the development of an elegant searchable database.

but it is being used here as such
How so? Can you tell us what you mean please? Explain clearly how you intend to use what you wrote.

Under which circumstances is it possible to place the first in a series of adjectives in front of the indefinite article?

That sometimes happens in degree constructions with "so" or "too" -- for example:

It was too confusing a grammatical question to be answered. [It needed to be reformulated.]

There, instead of "a confusing grammatical question" (note the two-adjective series, "confusing grammatical"), we have "confusing a grammatical question."

You were all right. I have failed to notice the leading "is". It must be the silliest question you have ever read, sorry.

. . . You are right in stating it is not an adjective, but it is being used here as such . . . .
No, it isn't. It's a verb being used as a verb.

To answer your question, it's never right to put an article between an adjective and the noun it's modifying. Notice that you correctly put a before the two adjectives.

PS - We can help you more if you give us a complete sentence rather than just a sentence fragment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back