Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

The expression you see below is a title of an article, the question is what the function of "state of the art" is? Is it an adjective for "open problems" or I must consider it as a noun?

Data warehousing and OLAP over Big Data: a survey of the state-of-the-art, open problems and future challenges

Any help will be apperciated.

The hyphenated word, "state-of-the-art", is an adjective which modifies "problems". It means "the latest, most advanced". It is a noun without the hyphen.

I think that the hyphens are incorrect. The phrase is not used as an adjective here. They are surveying three things:

1. The state of the art
2. Open problems
3. Future challenges

I think that the hyphens are incorrect. The phrase is not used as an adjective here. They are surveying three things:

1. The state of the art
2. Open problems
3. Future challenges

I agree it is more likely to mean that as "state-of-the-art problems" does sound a bit odd. In which case, "state of the art" should not have been hypenated.

For what it's worth, I concur with tedmc's explanation in post #2. I do concede though that it's not the most natural sentence in the world.

For what it's worth, I think 'the state-of-the-art' is similar to 'the rich' and 'the poor' in construction, where 'the + adjective' functions as a noun.

Do you really think so, Matthew? The sentence is clearly technical; it's about IT, not the arts.

I think 'the state-of-the-art' means 'the state-of-the-art stuff', which has nothing to do with the arts. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I've noticed that hyphens are increasingly used in noun phrases where they don't belong. The OP's sentence is a good example. I'm pretty certain the author meant a survey of the state of the art, and simply added the hyphens because sometimes state-of-the-art needs them and the author couldn't tell whether this was one of those times.

I think 'the state-of-the-art' means 'the state-of-the-art stuff', which has nothing to do with the arts. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It's not "the arts" like painting and theater, but "the art" of doing whatever the "Data Warehousing and OLAP" is.

Fair enough, SoothingDave. Now I get your point. ;-)

It's not "the arts" like painting and theater, but "the art" of doing whatever the "Data Warehousing and OLAP" is.
If so, 'the state-of-the-art' here means 'the condition of the art'.

"The state of the art" is usually used to mean "the latest and the greatest". State of the art problems seems to me to be a peculiar usage.

It's not describing the problems as "state-of-the-art." It is literally talking about the state of the art (of Data Warehousing).

I Tend to agree with what SoothingDave suggested, as "the state- of-the-art" as an adjective has a positive meaning while the problem conveys a negative concept so the "state- of-the-art problem" sounds odd enough to be rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back