Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
I have some difficulty working out that have in the expression 'have a surprise' is actually an action verb. The example is:
Our grandmother would always have a surprise waiting for us when we visited. Obviously, because of the rule that would is only used with action verbs, this expression must be one of those, but how do I explain it?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you sure "surprise" is a verb there?

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
The expression is have a surprise, obviously, surprise is not a verb.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Use "have" there in the sense of possession.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
She had to act to create the surprise.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
She had to act to create the surprise.
That is exactly what I was thinking, I needed someone to say it explicitly. Thank you.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have some difficulty working out that have in the expression 'have a surprise' is actually an action verb.

That's no wonder because 'have' isn't an action verb. It's a state verb.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
That's no wonder because 'have' isn't an action verb. It's a state verb.
Not always. Expressions like have a shower / have breakfast can be used in the continuous.

Reactions: 5jj

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not always. Expressions like have a shower / have breakfast can be used in the continuous.

I didn't mean that 'have' is always stative. I was talking about the context you provide in post #1.

because of the rule that would is only used with action verbs, this expression must be one of those

That's much too strong. Look at the following examples:

My grandmother would always know the right thing to do.
My sister would always be the last one to leave the party.
My brother would never have any money when we went out.

Does it make sense to conclude that know, be and have here are action verbs? They clearly aren't.

When we use 'would' for characterising people/things in the way you're talking about, it doesn't mean that the verbs we use are necessarily action verbs. If there's a rule to use here, it's more of a general tendency—we can say that the way that we characterise people is by saying how they habitually behave, and that most behaviour is typically expressed with dynamic verbs.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well, English File Advanced 4th edition (SB) thinks otherwise: Grammar Bank 2A, p. 144.

I don't think it does say otherwise. Here's exactly what it says:

We don't use would with stative verbs, i.e. to talk about situations or states which have changed. NOT I would have much longer hair when I was younger.

I say that have in Our grandmother would always have a surprise waiting for us does express possession of sorts. In any case, the important thing (the teaching point) is that the whole sentence describes a certain habitual and characteristic behaviour.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
I don't think it does say otherwise. Here's exactly what it says:

We don't use would with stative verbs, i.e. to talk about situations or states which have changed. NOT I would have much longer hair when I was younger.

I say that have in Our grandmother would always have a surprise waiting for us does express possession of sorts. In any case, the important thing (the teaching point) is that the whole sentence describes a certain habitual and characteristic behaviour.
Here is what the textbook says in the first place:
We use would + infinitive as an alternative to used to to talk about things that we did repeatedly in the past.
'We did' is the key phrase, it means action, not a state.
'Habitual and characteristic behaviour' also suggests the same - action, not a state.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'We did' is the key phrase, it means action, not a state.
'Habitual and characteristic behaviour' also suggests the same - action, not a state.

When we characterise people with would in this way, not only do we say what people did, but we also describe how people were. That is, it's not always about behaviour in the sense of actively doing things.

If I have a surprise for you, it's not that I'm actively 'doing' anything. The 'doing' part is the preparing of the surprise, the intending to surprise you with it (arguably), and the surprising itself, but not the 'having' of the surprise.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
When we characterise people with would in this way, not only do we say what people did, but we also describe how people were. That is, it's not always about behaviour in the sense of actively doing things.

If I have a surprise for you, it's not that I'm actively 'doing' anything. The 'doing' part is the preparing of the surprise, the intending to surprise you with it (arguably), and the surprising itself, but not the 'having' of the surprise.
Thank you for your time and thought, it has enabled me to look further (and deeper) into the issue. I suppose every verb form comprises both action and state, perhaps we should think which the predominant aspect is in any given case.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I suppose every verb form comprises both action and state, perhaps we should think which the predominant aspect is in any given case.

That's right, I think.

My view of this, after literally decades of thinking about what it is that makes a verb stative or active, is still not clear. Take the following sentence:

Stop being silly.

Are we going to say that being is a stative verb here when it's very clear that it's about how you're behaving, and that something is happening? I think we have to.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Stop being silly.

Are we going to say that being is a stative verb here when it's very clear that it's about how you're behaving, and that something is happening? I think we have to.
We have to say that being is a stative verb here?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.