Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
"I was at market and couldn't buy anything because someone stole my wallet"

"I was at market and couldn't buy anything because someone had stolen my wallet"

Is there any difference here and what's more better to use?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Both are possible. There's a slight nuance.

1. You need "the" before "market".
2. You need a full stop at the end of both sentences.
3. There isn't any such thing as "more better". "Better" means "more good" or "more suitable". What's better? What's more suitable?"

You've opened multiple threads on this topic. You've asked the same question with different examples.

Why don't you provide context? By context I mean:
(1) Why are you telling the other person that you couldn't buy anything? How did the topic come up?
(2) When did this incident take place? A few hours earlier? A few weeks earlier?

In a real-life situation, I doubt such a sentence would actually be said.

Situation 1: Stole.
A: Hi. Where were you all this while?
B: I went to the market at about 10.
A: Two hours there and you didn't buy anything?
B: I couldn't. Someone stole my wallet. I've just been to the police station to make a report.

Situation 2: Had stolen.
A: I hate crowded touristy markets. I try to avoid them as much as I can.
B: I love them. I once spent three hours at one a couple of years ago, at this place we went to for a holiday.
A: You must have bought a lot of stuff.
B: Not a thing. I got there and realised someone had stolen my wallet. Probably a pickpocket on the bus. I just wandered around waiting for my wife. She'd gone somewhere else with my kids.

Last edited:

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Since you have given two sentences, I would say "Which is better?".
To me second one sounds more gramaticallly correct but I think in daily life we can use the first one.

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I was abroad for 2 weeks and then I came back and my friend said why didn't you get anything for me so I replied "I couldn't get anything for you because someone stole/had stolen my wallet.

These both events take place in past.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How many times are you going to ask variation of the same question?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was abroad for 2 two weeks and then when I came back and my friend said "Why didn't you get anything for me?" so I replied "I couldn't get anything for you because someone stole/had stolen my wallet".

These both events both take took place in the past.
Note my corrections above. As we've said before, constantly asking the same question about different contexts clearly isn't helping you. You need to take some time out and properly study the use of the past simple and present/past perfect tenses.

Reactions: 5jj

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Note my corrections above. As we've said before, constantly asking the same question about different contexts clearly isn't helping you. You need to take some time out and properly study the use of the past simple and present/past perfect tenses.
He asked for context and I gave one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You've opened multiple threads on this topic. You've asked the same question with different examples.
How many times are you going to ask variation of the same question?
... constantly asking the same question about different contexts clearly isn't helping you. You need to take some time out and properly study the use of the past simple and present/past perfect tenses.
Three different people in this thread have now told you the same thing. Can you see why it appears to us that you're not actually learning anything? If you take the time to study those tenses, there won't be any need for you to come here and ask the same question over and over again, just with different sentences. Once you understand the rules, you'll be able to apply them to any sentence.

Reactions: 5jj

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
To me second one sounds more gramaticallly correct but I think in daily life we can use the first one.
Did you read my message? I said your two sentences, as they are, are unlikely. I also said both tenses are possible, depending on context.
I was abroad for 2 weeks and then I came back and my friend said why didn't you get anything for me so I replied "I couldn't get anything for you because someone stole/had stolen my wallet.
This is different from your market example.

Status
Not open for further replies.