Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Can you explain what "swat aside" means in this context?

United were swatted aside with ease at Selhurst Park on Monday, with Michael Olise scoring twice in a superb performance from the 14th-placed Eagles, whose fantastic form under Oliver Glasner continued as they did the league double over United for the first time in Premier League history while it is their biggest win over them since 1972.

You ever dealt with an annoying fly?

Well, the Eagles won 4-0, and in soccer (football) that's a blowout.

Context should have told you all you needed to know. In other words, there is only one possible interpretation.

swatted them aside
are their lunch
schooled them
gave them a lesson
took them to school
showed them a thing or two
showed them how the game is played
handed them their heads on a silver platter

Those are a few possibilities.

You don't have any annoying insects in Indonesia? Do you know what "swat" means?

Can you draw an analogy from swatting an insect to easily dominating an inferior opponent on the pitch?

No. It doesn't relate to sports. Have you read post #3?
I believe the OP was referring to the fact that the piece in post #1 is very clearly about sport.

The point of posts #2 and #3 is to explain what it means. While the examples I have don't specifically mention any sport, they are used in sports reporting regularly to indicate that one team dominated the other one in a contest. Here's another one. (See below.)

They add their rashes (not the actual word) handed to them.

The "swatted a fly" expression is not one I'm familiar with, but it's easy to understand from the context.

Back