Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I found the expression sweet talk that means "a way of talking to someone in a pleasing or funny way in order to persuade them to do or believe something" by Cambridge Dictionary.

Can I say that someone is a "sweet talker" in order to express the idea that the person is good in persuading others?

Can I say that someone is a "sweet talker" in order to express the idea that the person is good in persuading others?
I'd say "smooth talker" to describe someone like that. It can suggest a person who isn't completely sincere or genuine, so you need to be careful about how you use the term. A more complimentary thing to say might be "He has a way with words".

I usually associate "sweet talker" with a different context--a man who's good at charming the ladies.

Last edited:
I do agree with the response to your question. It is a cultural thing. In my culture, it is a common term that has to be viewed in context to determine its meaning. Politicians are often referred to as " sweet talkers" as their objective is to ammas votes. In another context, a male wanting to win the affection of a female is referred to as a "sweet talker" as a result of his charismatic approach. It can get complicated so be careful with the "Sweet Talk"!

I found the expression sweet talk that means "a way of talking to someone in a pleasing or funny way in order to persuade them to do or believe something" by Cambridge Dictionary.

Can I say that someone is a "sweet talker" in order to express the idea that the person is good at persuading others?
It probably doesn't work in that context.

I don't see at all how Collins dictionary disagrees with @Tarheel. We snd he are discussing nouns here. The link provided to Collins Dictionary is only about "sweet-talk" as a verb.

Last edited:
I'd say "smooth talker" to describe someone like that. It can suggest a person who isn't completely sincere or genuine, so you need to be careful about how you use the term. A more complimentary thing to say might be "He has a way with words".

I usually associate "sweet talker" with a different context--a man who's good at charming the ladies.
You could say that the person has a silver tongue, or is silver-tongued:

So could we say that a sweet talker is usually associated to a person good at charming ladies but it can be used in other contexts.
A smooth talker is a person good with words in order at persuading people.
A silver tongue is a characteristic of being skilful at persuading people that someone could have.
A silver tongued is an adjective to express the idea of someone with a silver tongue as a "a silver-tongued salesman".

Last edited:
@iagomxx That is one long sentence that should be at least three sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back