Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
I am looking for synonyms of 'to confront' that sound less pompous and official. For instance, if someone being annoyed with his roommate's constant smoking, finally decides to talk seriously to him about the issue, what would be the word?

"Confront" is the perfect word for the situation. It's neither pompous nor "official", whatever that means.

If you want a more casual way to describe the confrontation, you could say you're going to have a heart-to-heart talk.

Or you might want to use something like "broach" or "raise" in that sentence. Modify your sentence using one of those and repost it below if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about talk face-to-face?

It depends on how confrontational you expect the conversation to be.

If it's going to be civil, low-key chat, use something like:

I'm really fed up with my roommate smoking all the time. I'm going to have a word with him about it.
I'm really fed up with my roommate smoking all the time. I really have to talk to him about it.

If it's going to be potentially argumentative, use something like:

I'm really fed up with my roommate smoking all the time. I'm going to have it out with him tonight.
I'm really fed up with my roommate smoking all the time. I'll be having words with him later!

If the person is planning to be full-on argumentative right from the get-go, use something like:

I'm really fed up with my roommate smoking all the time. I'm going to confront him and leave him in no doubt about my feelings on the matter.
I'm really fed up with my roommate smoking all the time. I'm going to give him the sharp end of my tongue later.

Why 'face-to-face' would be inappropriate in this context?

That means what it says. It's different from having a conversation by mail, email, phone, etc.

Not a teacher
------

If you want something informal and rather aggressive, you can always chew out someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back